Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to encourage boss to switch to Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
546 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to encourage boss to switch to Revit

Small office, 90% tenant fitup, CAD users with extremely bad habits (including boss). No concept of layers, paper space, exploded dimensions, etc. Using ADT1 (we have ADT 3.3) as ACAD on Windows 2000, even though it's unsupported and causes printing problems. Periodic lip service to upgrading, but these users are very resistant to change. I want to switch to Revit, because I expect it will force users into proper habits better than an ACAD based ADT will (I can just see them buying new workstations and ADT software, then continuing in same bad habits. How do I convince my boss, who is unlikely to sit through demo, that Revit is easier to learn and MORE compatible with engineers ACAD than ADT (I've had big problems with OE in the past)? AFAIK, none are using Building Services, but they might. Any prospect of that for Revit? A couple of years ago I almost convinced him because of fear of ADT dead-end, but that doesn't seem to apply anyomore. Also need to consider relative cost. Not sure if current ADT "requires" subscription or not.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DaleWWW
in reply to: Anonymous

I am in a similar situation where the office doesn't utilize standards of drawings enough to make us profficient enough. But convincing the owners to switch has been going on for 2 years now. Still not convinced. I was already told to go to www.augi.com and search for switching to revit as a heading. Wish someone could give more specific answers than the archived ones though.

DaleWWW
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Our office is in the process of switching over to Revit. We are a small office of 6 people doing renovation and new work on multi-family housing and general commercial work. we found ourselves looking to Revit when it first came out as a way for us to increase productivity, coordination, and (at the time) produce 3d rendered work. We are still moving to Revit as an office however I have been very impressed with both ADT 2004 and 2005. In terms if fixing users bad habits, I am not sure Revit is the panacea. However when working with Revit since you are constructing a model from parametric components there is less of an opportunity for the end user to do things there own way since they are working with predefined "parts" if you will. This does mean however someone has to be incharge of providing good "parts" to use. Lots of library management issues here. For example I am the last person in our office to start using Revit even though I am the kind of defacto CAD manager, and I have quickly become frustrated and overwhelmed by the family libraries and family creation. The others in our office have had no real organization or approach to family creation and it seems to be a big mess right now. That being said Revit has increased our productivity on the projects we use it on. I am amazed how quickly a scheme can be put into the system and get real results you can show clients. Then taking that project to construction documents takes no time at all. A lot of the work is already done for you or is very easy to create. As for Revit being more compatible with engineers I don't think that is really the case. I would agree getting engineers to use Object enabler is a lost cause but the export to plain DWG is very smooth in ADT 2004 and 2005. Revit also exports to DWG very easily. I don't think ADT requires subscription but whether you go to Revit or ADT I would consider going to subscription. Just simplifies these upgrade issues a lot and you don't need to worry about becoming outdated. (using ADT1 you most certainly are, that was really not even functional as a 3d Building modeler). With allthat I will leave you with this, our office still has Revit and ADT on our workstations, the people who have used Revit for a longer period of time will not even think of starting a project in ADT. I have only done one project in Revit and am still a lot more comfortable with ADT. I have some trouble with the Revit interface because I like the new ADT 2004/2005 interface a lot, and revit seems a bit dated in comparison. With a few updates to the interface I think I would stop using ADT in our office as well. I would also like to see revit incorporate a stronger rendering engine. I think VIZ render included with ADT 2004/2005 produces much stronger renderings. It is really hard for someone else to tell you one software product will be the solution for you. You really have to evaluate them for your selfand ask questions about what your needs are and how different software can address those needs. Any software will have it's own set of problems and good things. Hope this info helps point you in the right direction. Jeff Hanson "DH" wrote in message news:412e0cd0_1@newsprd01... > Small office, 90% tenant fitup, CAD users with extremely bad habits > (including boss). No concept of layers, paper space, exploded dimensions, > etc. Using ADT1 (we have ADT 3.3) as ACAD on Windows 2000, even though it's > unsupported and causes printing problems. Periodic lip service to upgrading, > but these users are very resistant to change. I want to switch to Revit, > because I expect it will force users into proper habits better than an ACAD > based ADT will (I can just see them buying new workstations and ADT > software, then continuing in same bad habits. > How do I convince my boss, who is unlikely to sit through demo, that Revit > is easier to learn and MORE compatible with engineers ACAD than ADT (I've > had big problems with OE in the past)? AFAIK, none are using Building > Services, but they might. Any prospect of that for Revit? A couple of years > ago I almost convinced him because of fear of ADT dead-end, but that doesn't > seem to apply anyomore. Also need to consider relative cost. Not sure if > current ADT "requires" subscription or not. > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

to tack on.... Consider 'upgrading' your AutoCAD licenses to Revit Series, where you will get AutoCAD (vanilla) 2005 and Revit 6.1 together, for a very steep discount. That way you can begin to use Revit, but still have AutoCAD for the older work. (I think it costs about $400 extra, over the cost of the single license to get both...contact your reseller for actual pricing.) SD "Jeff Hanson" wrote in message news:412e437b$1_2@newsprd01... > Our office is in the process of switching over to Revit. We are a small > office of 6 people doing renovation and new work on multi-family housing and > general commercial work. we found ourselves looking to Revit when it first > came out as a way for us to increase productivity, coordination, and (at the > time) produce 3d rendered work. We are still moving to Revit as an office > however I have been very impressed with both ADT 2004 and 2005. In terms if > fixing users bad habits, I am not sure Revit is the panacea. However when > working with Revit since you are constructing a model from parametric > components there is less of an opportunity for the end user to do things > there own way since they are working with predefined "parts" if you will. > This does mean however someone has to be incharge of providing good "parts" > to use. Lots of library management issues here. For example I am the last > person in our office to start using Revit even though I am the kind of > defacto CAD manager, and I have quickly become frustrated and overwhelmed by > the family libraries and family creation. The others in our office have had > no real organization or approach to family creation and it seems to be a big > mess right now. That being said Revit has increased our productivity on the > projects we use it on. I am amazed how quickly a scheme can be put into the > system and get real results you can show clients. Then taking that project > to construction documents takes no time at all. A lot of the work is already > done for you or is very easy to create. As for Revit being more compatible > with engineers I don't think that is really the case. I would agree getting > engineers to use Object enabler is a lost cause but the export to plain DWG > is very smooth in ADT 2004 and 2005. Revit also exports to DWG very easily. > I don't think ADT requires subscription but whether you go to Revit or ADT I > would consider going to subscription. Just simplifies these upgrade issues > a lot and you don't need to worry about becoming outdated. (using ADT1 you > most certainly are, that was really not even functional as a 3d Building > modeler). With allthat I will leave you with this, our office still has > Revit and ADT on our workstations, the people who have used Revit for a > longer period of time will not even think of starting a project in ADT. I > have only done one project in Revit and am still a lot more comfortable with > ADT. I have some trouble with the Revit interface because I like the new > ADT 2004/2005 interface a lot, and revit seems a bit dated in comparison. > With a few updates to the interface I think I would stop using ADT in our > office as well. I would also like to see revit incorporate a stronger > rendering engine. I think VIZ render included with ADT 2004/2005 produces > much stronger renderings. It is really hard for someone else to tell you > one software product will be the solution for you. You really have to > evaluate them for your selfand ask questions about what your needs are and > how different software can address those needs. Any software will have it's > own set of problems and good things. Hope this info helps point you in the > right direction. > > Jeff Hanson > > "DH" wrote in message news:412e0cd0_1@newsprd01... > > Small office, 90% tenant fitup, CAD users with extremely bad habits > > (including boss). No concept of layers, paper space, exploded dimensions, > > etc. Using ADT1 (we have ADT 3.3) as ACAD on Windows 2000, even though > it's > > unsupported and causes printing problems. Periodic lip service to > upgrading, > > but these users are very resistant to change. I want to switch to Revit, > > because I expect it will force users into proper habits better than an > ACAD > > based ADT will (I can just see them buying new workstations and ADT > > software, then continuing in same bad habits. > > How do I convince my boss, who is unlikely to sit through demo, that Revit > > is easier to learn and MORE compatible with engineers ACAD than ADT (I've > > had big problems with OE in the past)? AFAIK, none are using Building > > Services, but they might. Any prospect of that for Revit? A couple of > years > > ago I almost convinced him because of fear of ADT dead-end, but that > doesn't > > seem to apply anyomore. Also need to consider relative cost. Not sure if > > current ADT "requires" subscription or not. > > > > > >
Message 5 of 7
melarch

Once again Autodesk is considering the ADT/Revit companion package. For those offices using ADT, but looking to try Revit you will be able to get dual licenses for both products. Contact your dealers for additional info, pricing and schedule of availability.

Mel Persin, Architect & Consultant/Trainer
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response. I admit my file transfer phobia is biased due to an extremely bad past experience that wasted a lot of time and effort, and possibly contributed to losing a future job. We went through every iteration of OE that existing, the dealer tech support was unable to fix the problem, finally had to import plot files and convert them to drawings so the engineer could use them, and this is one of the biggest engineering firms in Boston, with a highly sophisticated IT/CAD department. Frankly, if I could, I'd switch the users here to LT with an architectural program. No one has any interest in 3D other than me. What I need is the simplest possible architectural ACAD addon, with some features or programing to require users to use Xrefs, proper layers, paper space (so they don't scale entities, prevent explosions or overrides of dimensions, etc. It would be nice if it were all native ACAD entities. Hmm.. sounds like Softdesk. Anyway, given my past experience, and even the current headaches and file bloat using AECObjExplode in multiple viewports, and the good things I've heard about Revit exports, I'm personally leaning toward Revit. Guess I'll have to download and try them both.
Message 7 of 7
Steve_Stafford

I've read the posts here a few times now and keep having the same gut reaction. You've got bigger fish to fry than choosing cadd software. If your firm's mgmt/owner doesn't recognize lost revenue due to inefficiency related to the lack of standards and selfish work habits I'm afraid no software will help you. It is a business and decisions need to be based on sound information and results you can measure. No bank would lend them money because mgmt "thinks" it's a good move or because they really like "it". It may help sway their thinking but in the end there needs to be a sense of purpose. Your description sounds like the boss has no idea how things get from the bench to the dock so to speak.

That's unfortunate... or is it? Now you have an opportunity to impress him/her with your knowledge and initiative. Do a project in Revit "off to the side", parallel to a real project...see how long it takes, document the advantages you found as well as points of pain. Also be sure to identify where the office processes break down and waste $$$ and resources.

Put numbers together and ask for some of his/her time. Spell it out...we'll save $$$ every time you ask me to draw a wall...we'll save $$$ every time the client changes their mind...we'll finish every project ahead of schedule and deliver it on time with time for proper checking and preparation. Each of our staff will know what is expected of them and how to accomplish it because we'll have standards of practice. Not just those for design and code compliance but how we get the job done internally.

Want to see teamwork...go to a really great restaurant and watch the staff work...see how everybody does their job...everyone hitting their "mark" at just the right moment, despite egos and personal ambitions.

If this effort isn't appreciated and rewarded then you need to find a firm that recognizes talent and initiative....and soon. It is a shame to put great effort into a firm that has no ambition, better spent elsewhere no matter how hard that may seem at the moment.

Are you ready?

Just my opinion and I hope you succeed!

Message was edited by: Steve_Stafford
Message was edited by: Steve_Stafford

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report