Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying To Create A Custom Elevation Value

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
RudyBeuc
821 Views, 4 Replies

Trying To Create A Custom Elevation Value

Ok, I have a building on a site that has contours marked according to sealevel.

However I want to use a specific point of the existing foundation as datum point 100'-0".

So my bright idea was to create a custom level head that dispayed an adjusted custom elevation value.

The wall I'm running into now is useing the elevation parameter in an expression. I keep getting the error message "Improper use of booleen expressions".

What is going on here and how do I get around this problem?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChrisNeedhamNZ
in reply to: RudyBeuc

I think your "Elevation" parameter may be set to be a text parameter, not a length parameter.

See attached screenshot of my attempt to recreate the issue. Note that youe parameter has no default value, which clued me in to what the problem might be.

Chris Needham
Whangarei
New Zealand
Message 3 of 5
raghavendra.bhat

Try using the Project and shared Elevation base constraint. Its too simple without much effort you can switch and also you will not need to create new custom level head. Alsoas the changes are view specific you can have views with actual or absolute elevations in different views.

Check out this link : http://revit-up.blogspot.com/2008/02/absolute-and-relative-elevations-in.html

Hope it helps 🙂

Raghavendra Bhat,
rnbhat1@gmail.com,
Revit Architecture 2010 Certified Professional.

Message 4 of 5
RudyBeuc
in reply to: ChrisNeedhamNZ

Yes I think you are right but I can't change it.

I opened up the "level head - circle"  family from the imperial families and copied it. The "elevation" parameter is from that original family. When I go to try to modify the parameter, the "Type of Parameter" box is set to text, greyed out, and locked down.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Message 5 of 5
RudyBeuc

Solution found........

While working with the suggestions provided I believe I've stumbled accross a solution that seemed to be designed into the software from the get go.

There appears to be two built in origins to every project, a Project Base Point and a Survey Point. Befor discovering the existiance of these things I had already created the existing building and site at true height above sea level.

Long story short, what I did was turned on the visibality of these site objects in the plan view i was working, unclip the "Project Base Point", move it to the place and elevation I wanted, turn the cliping property back on, and the values are as I want them.

Cliping and uncliping the Project Base Point was important. When it was clipped, all of the project elements went along for the ride.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report