Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truss Chord Ends

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
IMCornish
1465 Views, 10 Replies

Truss Chord Ends

I would like to know if there is any way that the members of my newly created truss family can both look like the elements are actualy connected and also have the lower chord ends cut perpendicular to the floor level?

See attached.  Perhaps the structural framing elements have to be edited?Truss.png

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

in Project , draw a Reference Plane as you show in you screen shot.

Select the element you want to be cut .. then :  Geometry >Cut >1-select the element you want to be cut on the side you want to preserve and 2- the Reference plane...Repeat the operation as long as you want..Moving or rotating the Reference Plane will determine changes of the cut..

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

for cuts that are not only liniar you can  use also : Architecture > Opening > By Face . It works fine ...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 11

for joining members:

Use Cope

• Using TAB , select one the member you want to join. 
  • Click on the pin marker to unpin it.
  • Stretch the end point to reach the other member
  • Use : Geometry > Cope - select first the member that you want to be cut ,then the other one

Use Reference Planes

• Use cut with Reference Plane as shown in my previous post...
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Cope?  Don't see that, can you explain further please?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 11

yes, I understand....you are from UK....I think in your menu is another term...is it Notched?

Image 257.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 11

Constantin
I never thanked you for explaining this, sorry. The UK Cope = Notch. However I have come across this issue again and whilst I can select each element of my truss I do not get a point to be able to stretch them with. Do you have any idea why this should be?
Thanks again.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

Using TAB , select the bar and unpin it .  After that , you'll be able tp make stretches....

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

Constantin, I am getting as far as unpinning, but I am not getting any Stretch arrows, or dots. If I try and stretch the whole truss is moved.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 10 of 11

Can you post the file containing the truss or at least a part of it? 

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 11

Have now sussed this out thank you but I wonder if 'Notching Distance' can be universally controlled?  Having got the web members to stretch and then 'notch', each member then has a 'Notching Distance' parameter appear in properties which defaults to 20mm.  Since I cannot find anything in 'WikiHelp' referencing 'Notching Distance' (accept in connection with stairs) and it is taking a long time to set the 'Notching Distance' of four members in 36 Trusses! surely this must be controlled from somewhere? 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report