Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchscreen monitor?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
haydenwse
2984 Views, 10 Replies

Touchscreen monitor?

Costco is a selling a system that has a 27" touchscreen.  Has anyone ever tried using a large touch screen for modeling in Revit?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: haydenwse

revit isn't completely made for touch screens yet you probably can orbit and pan but thats probably it

you still need a mouse and keyboard for most of the functionality

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
haydenwse
in reply to: DarrenP

Wouldn't you also be able to select commands on the ribbon?

Message 4 of 11
DarrenP

should be able to

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
rosskirby

You could, but why would you?  Using a mouse and keyboard are going to be far more efficient than using a touch-screen.  After an hour or two of trying to use a touchscreen to model, you're going to be exhausted.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 11
octavio2
in reply to: rosskirby

I agree with rosskirby, I think that Revit and AutoCAD both requiring hand intensive laboring might not be exaclty suitable for the touch screen, in particular when the screen is located vertically in front of the operator.

Message 7 of 11
haydenwse

I agree that for regular work flow the mouse will be much more productive.  I was thinking of it more as a teaching tool.  I do one-on-one Revit training and it is sometimes very difficult to get the student to find the correct item on the ribbon and it is not easy to run their mouse while standing next to them.  It would be very handy to just be able to touch the screen to demonstrate what then need to do.

Message 8 of 11
rosskirby

I'm not an instructor, but I run into the same problem when I'm at someone's workstation trying to troubleshoot whatever problem they're having.  Generally, I take two approaches, depending on their experience level.

- Hands-off approach:  Just talk them through it, explaining where the tools they need are found, and how to select/implement each tool.  This helps them learn the UI better, and helps me troubleshoot over the phone, since I can't always be on-hand.

- Hands-on approach: Sit down at their station, work through the problem while they watch, then Undo-Undo-Undo until I get back to the initial state, and let them try it on their own.  They get to see how the problem is solved, and then have a chance to work through it on their own, which is more beneficial (to everyone) in the long run.

Anyway, it works for me, but with multiple students at one time, there might be a better solution.  Either way, I don't think a touchscreen would help, but that's just my opinion.

Also, something's wrong with the text editor, because I totally bullet-pointed those two methods to begin with, and now I've gotta go back and make it manual.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 9 of 11
nedwards9820
in reply to: rosskirby

I typically use a duo touchscreen laptop, and switch between two fingers for zoom/pan and a stylus for precision drawing in AutoCAD2105.  This works reasonably well (it could be better, particularly within block editing).  

The duo touchscreen works flawlessly for drawing in SketchUp.

I am learning Revit2015, but I can't seem to get pinch-to-zoom to work.  Are there some settings somewhere for this?

Message 10 of 11
2016.prd

Would be great if you could use the touch screen on the ribbon for commands and the mouse for drawing?!

Message 11 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: 2016.prd

Meh.

On a tablet or something, sure. But on a large desktop monitor? Reaching up to touch the ribbon tools would get old in about two minutes.

I can see a bit of value in the instructing use case, but still, you can just point and have the student move his mouse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report