Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topography from Cad file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johneden
887 Views, 3 Replies

Topography from Cad file

Hey everybody. 

Does anybody know if the Revit 2013 Student Version allows you to create topography from a linked AutoCad file. all the videos I have watched on youtube show a 'Create from Import' feature in the 'Modify/Edit Surface' tab when creating a topographic surface. For some reason I cannot see this feature?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jason_S
in reply to: johneden

@johneden wrote:

Hey everybody. 

Does anybody know if the Revit 2013 Student Version allows you to create topography from a linked AutoCad file. all the videos I have watched on youtube show a 'Create from Import' feature in the 'Modify/Edit Surface' tab when creating a topographic surface. For some reason I cannot see this feature?

Yes it should. You should have a Massing and Site Tab.  When you pick that on the Model Site Panel you should see Toposurface.  When you select that command you should be in the Site View and a contextual tab (greenish in color) will appear on the right saying Modify| Edit Surface.  See Image Below.

Topo.png

If you do not see the contextual tab or the commands seen above, you may need to install Service Pack 3.  They can be found here.

This is for Revit Architecture

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/revit-architec...

Or if you have the Building Suite Version (All MEP, Structural, Architectural combined in one) Here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/building-design-suite/downloads/caas/downloads/content/revit-2...

I hope this helps you out.

Message 3 of 4
johneden
in reply to: Jason_S

Thanks. I fixed it by upgrading to 2014. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: johneden

Be aware.

Revit is not good with topography. It does not adhear to features which deviate from Flat planes well.

If you really have to use a Toposurface then my advice is to:

Import the points from CSV or Triangles orContours although the latter will generate large models.

If avaliable use the tried and tested method of generating a composite mass solid family from imported 3d regions (converted from 3d faces) and align each using a known point which can be a box located on both files.

Use the add points function to try and trick Revit into forcing the triangles where needed.

Otherwise if a Topo is not nessesary and you have a survey triangulation use the generic mass family route as this will Hold the model correctly whilst allowing sections & levels to be produced.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report