Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
nikana2000
Message 1 of 3 (226 Views)
Accepted Solution

To Link or Not to Link : Transferring 'Model Groups' Amongst Models

226 Views, 2 Replies
09-28-2012 03:05 PM

I have a large project composed of multiple buildings that I have set up on their own (model) file.  The buildings have many of the same window types and supporting components (shutters, custom lintels and aprons, ie. components not part of the window family) that I would like to easily incorporate amongst all the buildings.

Currently I have 'model groups' set up with each combination I need (eg. window type x, shutter type y, lintel z) within one of the building files. 

I was hoping to convert the groups to models and use 'linked models', however it appears that the windows will not cut out the openings in the walls this way. 

- Applying window openings within the model file is too excessive to be an valuable option.

- I will likely be modifying the windows (family) and possibly the supporting components in the future, and hence prefer to keep them grouped together

Any suggestions on a sufficient means of (internal) collaborating model groups would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

In case there is someone else with a similar issue, the work-around is to use families instead of groups.  This may mean you'll have 3 or more levels of sub-families (especially is using windows or doors), but there doesn't appear to be another option until the functionality of groups are better resolved.

Valued Contributor
nikana2000
Message 2 of 3 (191 Views)

Re: To Link or Not to Link : Transferring 'Model Groups' Amongst Models

10-09-2012 03:03 PM in reply to: nikana2000

I also noticed that Revit does not allow one to edit the linked model group if you have a file open where it is present.

This is quite unfortunate and seams odd, as conceptually you are able to acheive this with 'families'. (ie. "Load into Project")

Valued Contributor
nikana2000
Message 3 of 3 (161 Views)

Re: To Link or Not to Link : Transferring 'Model Groups' Amongst Models

10-11-2012 08:44 AM in reply to: nikana2000

In case there is someone else with a similar issue, the work-around is to use families instead of groups.  This may mean you'll have 3 or more levels of sub-families (especially is using windows or doors), but there doesn't appear to be another option until the functionality of groups are better resolved.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.