Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timber miter issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nikana2000
1385 Views, 5 Replies

timber miter issue

When I have 2 - 'Structural Framing : Other : Timber' objects joining each other at the peak of a gable roof, they miter to each other.  But when I have a 'Structural Framing : Other : Timber' beam for the previously mentioned timber members to tie into, they don't miter and maintain a 90 degree cut.  (See attached screencap)

I've tried using the "Beam / Column Joins" tool without success.  

I've also read in this forum that RA2008 and previous versions do not allow mitering of structural objects.  Is this related to the problem (even though the two sloping timbers still miter each other)?

Thanks in advance

/using RA 2011

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
VWD-MLM
in reply to: nikana2000

Just as a guess, try using the coping cmd.  That might work.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 6
DaveDrahn

Reviving this old message, I'd like to do the same thing - miter framing as it ties together (bracing under a deck, non-perpendicular joist connections, etc).  Right now I'm creating detail views, masking and adding detail components where I can but it would be nice to model some of these places accurately.

Coping works with timber, but it makes a coping cut of one piece with a large gap.

Is there a way to do that easily now?  

TIA

Message 4 of 6

the gap dimensiobn can be controled selecting the cut object and from Properties>Structural > Coping Distance - adjust the gap...

Image 2.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
awes

I'd drag the timber beam ends over the ridge beam, add ref.planes on both sides of ridge beam and cut the overlapping parts especially if you are not going to model the actual timber join as it will be timbered in 'real life'.

Message 6 of 6
DaveDrahn
in reply to: awes

Thank you.  This may be what I do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report