Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tilt Up Concrete Panels

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
tonkata
7309 Views, 25 Replies

Tilt Up Concrete Panels

What's the best way to create tilt up concrete panels?

In the screen grab bellow, I used an extrusion, gave it concrete material, and left a 10mm gap between each panel to create that illusion.

Can this be done as a wall, if so how do I add those gaps/voids?

Screen shot 2011-11-22 at 2.42.07 PM.png

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
rosskirby
in reply to: tonkata

The general consensus seems to be that using a curtain wall, with "sealant" mullions for the gaps, seems to be the most efficient way.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 26
tonkata
in reply to: rosskirby

rosskirby, thanks for the tip, however I need just a teeny weeny more help Smiley Surprised

I draw a standard curtain wall, split the surface with grid lines, convert those to mullions and then edit the type property of the wall.

To thicken or convert the curtain wall to a concrete panel, which material resembles that under the Curtain Panel option?

Also which boarder would I use for the vertical mullions?

Message 4 of 26
loboarch

You can draw the panels as one wall and then use the "split with gap" tool on the modify tab of the ribbon to split the wall and create the "joints".  The size of the gap can be set in the split with gap tool.  This might accomplish waht you are looking to do very quickly.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 26
bward

I would agree with the curtain wall method. We use this method all the time on architectural pre-cast and it gives us the most flexibility for making changes or moveing the wall.

If you creat one concrete wall and then use the split with gap command you will end up with a lot of independant walls that will have have to be moved individually.

Message 6 of 26
tonkata

Hmm... Correct me if im wrong, using the the curtain wall solution I'd need to create a custom 150 concrete wall in wall famalies, set its material so when selected as a profil, all works?

Am I on the right track..?
Message 7 of 26
bward

For the type of panels you are showing in your image, creating a concrete wall type and then using that for the panel of your curtain wall would be the best method. You can then host windows and doors in the panel walls just like any other wall. If you had a more elaborate pnale, I would recomend using a curtain wall panel.

Message 8 of 26
gurump
in reply to: bward

So would you draw the thick concrete wall then draw a curtain wall inside that? Right now what I've inherited are 1ft thick concrete panels with out of the box revit openings in them. I used wall reveals for the control joints. But I'm thinking this isn't the most efficient way.
Message 9 of 26
chrisplyler
in reply to: gurump

tiltwallcurtain.jpg

I like to use a curtain wall. Not definitively in this order:

1. Make an 8" thick (or whatever) concrete wall type.

2. Make a mullion profile family to be the joint sealant (see picture above). You could even make this as an inner and outer application of sealant over backer rods if you want. I didn't bother. Can do that in a callout detail view later if you like.

3. Make a curtain wall type set to use the wall as the panel, use the joint sealant as the three vertical mullion types, use no horizontal mullion types, joint condition set to vertical grid continuous, layout set to max distance 20' or something reasonable.

4. Place curtain walls.

5. Since they can only be placed by wall centerline, go back and move or align/lock faces to exterior project gridlines as may be required.

6. Edit type to change the curtain wall layout parameter to none instead of the max distance we set previously. This is so we can do steps 7 and 8.

7. Delete orphan mullions at ends of walls that form a corner as required (see picture above), and align/lock the butting wall of such corners to the inside face of the covering wall (see picture above).

8. Align and lock "non end" mullion grids to interior project gridlines. Delete or add new mullion gridlines as required.

9. Select each panel in turn and create assembly so they can be tagged and scheduled.

10. Create assembly views as required to lay out each panel assembly type with dimensions, etc.

11. Edit assembly to model imbeds, voids, etc. (Don't need to do this with families that host to the panels, such as doors and windows...only for in-place components you might be creating to represent such things because they aren't automatically associated to the panel).

The more changes you make after you create assemblies, the more annoying it is to keep up with those assemblies. So I like to get doors, windows, etc., layed out as much as possible prior to creating assemblies. The same can be said about imbeds and such, I guess. Anyway it's a bit of a hassle the first time you do it, but once you understand the logic it becomes pretty routine. And it's accurate, easy to alter (the joints follow the grid lines), properly BIM capable, etc.

walltype.jpg

Tags (2)
Message 10 of 26
chrisplyler
in reply to: gurump

panelD.jpg

Message 11 of 26

Is it possible to add wall reveals if you make your tiltup wall as a curtain wall?

Message 12 of 26
ToanDN

If panels are wall type then I think so.  If nor, you can use sub grids for reveals, much more flexible.

Message 13 of 26
mitchellparker17
in reply to: ToanDN

Could you show an image of where I find these sub-grids please

Message 14 of 26
bward
in reply to: mitchellparker17

Lets start by differentiating between "Curtain Walls", "Walls" and "Curtain Wall Panels"

The curtain wall is simply the grid that can either hold a wall or a curtain wall panel as the infill. If you are using a curtain wall method for detailing precast, then there will be no mullions; only grids.

For simple precast construction (Donut panels, industrial till-up jobs) where you have a solid chunk of concrete and you are punching holes in it for window's/louvers/doors ect the fastest method is to use "walls" to infill the curtain wall. The reason for this is that a wall used to infill a curtain wall can host widows, doors etc the same as if it were not hosted in a curtain wall.

If you are using more complicated or elaborate architectural precast (spandrels and column covers) then you will wan to still use the curtain wall to set up your frame work, but use "Curtain wall panels" instead of walls. The advantage is that you can control all of the materials/reveals at a much higher level. The down side is that they are categorized by Revit as curtain wall panels and therefore cannot host objects. You will need to make non-hosted windows/doors or typically on these type of jobs we separate the interior furring from the precast so they door and windows can be hosted on the interior furred wall.

I have attached a RFA file of a typical architectural precast spandrel done in Revit. A panel like this has to be done using a curtain wall panel as you would never be able to control all of the sweeps and reveals just using a standard concrete wall.

Hope this helps.

Message 15 of 26
ToanDN
in reply to: mitchellparker17

Below is an example adding reveals to panels if they are wall type.

Regarding subgrid, I mean you can assign another curtain wall type to be the panel of your curtain wall.  Then, you can set the grid for the nested curtain wall to become reveals.  I can post another example if it is not clear.

Message 16 of 26
mschirmer

What if you have curtain wall glass in the tilt-wall?  Do you sub-divide out the windows as needed?

Message 17 of 26
barthbradley
in reply to: mschirmer

Curtain wall glass in tilt-ups?! I've seen veneer but never vision glass. Sorry; my mind was thinking horizontally (before the tilt-up). Ha! 

But as far as for modeling it; it's an embedded wall. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

Message 18 of 26
ToanDN
in reply to: mschirmer

@mschirmer wrote:

What if you have curtain wall glass in the tilt-wall?  Do you sub-divide out the windows as needed?

Just select the concrete panels and replace them with Glass panel or Curtain Wall Windows.

Message 19 of 26
mschirmer

ok.  Makes sense.  I did try that and it worked.  thanks.

Message 20 of 26
mschirmer
in reply to: barthbradley

Ok.  This seems a lot easier to do than using a curtain wall for the Tilt Wall.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report