Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Updater Error Message

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Paul_Blanchard_Ghafari
22121 Views, 35 Replies

Third Party Updater Error Message

I am at wits end here.

Revit 2013 BSP - Structural Flavor

Revit Arch 2013

Working in the same project file. Revit BSP doesn't get the error. However, RAC users gets the follow error:

File <xxx> was modified by the third-party updater AREXRevitStart:Extensions:DReinfWall which is not installed.

If you continue to edit the file, data maintained by AREXRevitStart:REXExtension: DReinfWall will not be updated properly. This may create problems when <xxx> is later opened when AREXRevitStart:REXExtension: DReinfWall is present.

1) What is this extension? in question

2) How do I turn off this error OR how do I install the needed 3rd party extension

SEE IMAGE FOR FULL DETAILS

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Have you had any luck on this?

We have been getting this error as well and the most recent testing lead us to believe that the cause of this is due to the Building Design Suite Premium Extensions 2013.

Seems like BDSP Extensions 2013 is not compatible with Revit Arch 2013 and causes the error message(s). Uninstalling it doesn't help either. However, those who have BDSP Ext 2013 do not receive the errors, only RArch users do. Pretty much tried everything. My option now is to start all over unless Adsk releases a hotfix of sorts.....

It's left me scratching my head......

Message 3 of 36
M.Hussaini
in reply to: M.Hussaini

Received this from Autodesk today:

The cause of this, there was a user that accessed and modified the file using a 3rd party updater (in this case "DreinfWall"), which the client does not have (thus triggering the message and most likely the crash). As these elements were modified using this updater, they are essentially owned by the updater and any modifications made outside of the updater, could cause issues when the file is opened or modified with the updater, as the user is reporting

For 2012 and later, the "do not warn" option was included so that you can disassociate the file with the 3rd party updater. I would check that option and continue working. When they get new files to link in, I would open it, disassociate it, save it, and then link the file.

To make sure the updater does not keep doing this, please review the following blog post which has steps for changing the code of the updater:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2012/05/avoid-the-missing-third-party-updater-dialog.html

Message 4 of 36

So the 'Third Party updater" that Autodesk mentions is actually their own product. It is the Reinforcement tool in the Autodesk Revit Extensions. Also it is not limited to affecting users of RAC2013. RVT2013 users running just the Arch profile are running into this as well.dreinf____.png

Can anyone from Autodesk chime in on updating the code in REX to match their own best practice that was linked to earlier here? http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2012/05/avoid-the-missing-third-party-updater-dialog.html

Can this truly just be 'ignored' by the end user and it will not affect them again? I'm getting mixed reports here on if this actually has an effect on the stability of the product.

Message 5 of 36

Just started getting this same error in Arch with linked models from MEP and Structural.  Can this message be ignored by the Architects as they won't be modifying the struct model?

Richard Binning
Director of BIM Technology

Wakefield Beasley & Associates
5200 Avalon Boulevard
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Message 6 of 36

We are now seeing this in 2014. Our office has both BDSP and RAC and the RAC users get this error dialog.

I imagine we will be uninstalling the Autodesk Revit Extensions until this is sorted out.

Message 7 of 36
sasha.crotty
in reply to: SafiyaCT

Hi everyone,

This message simply means that an add-in (in this case one of the Revit extensions) is not present on the computer on which the file is being opened. There is no bug and no corruption of the file - the message is there to inform you that an add-in made automatic changes to your file previously and that data maintained by the add-in may become out of date if you change the file without the add-in installed.

For example, the reinforcement add-in automatically updates the rebar inside of a column when the column size changes. If you change the size of a column without the add-in installed, then the rebar will not be updated and will end up in the "wrong" size/location. The add-in won't know to automatically update the rebar in this column even if the add-in is used on it later unless the column is modified again.

It you are NOT planning to modify the file, it is completely safe to ignore the warning and open the file.

If you are planning to make changes, you have two options:

1. Install the add-in so that it can continue to update necessary elements.

2. If you are sure that your changes won't affect the add-in or you know that the elements maintained by the add-in will be updated/recreated later anyway,  you can continue to work with the file.

Bottom line, the file is completely safe to use, modify etc, just be careful to make sure that elements are properly updated (possibly manually) if/when the file is returned back to an environment where the add-in is present.

Thanks,

Sasha Varsanofieva

Revit Platform Technologies Product Manager

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Message 8 of 36
SafiyaCT
in reply to: sasha.crotty

The problem is that the extension seems to be structural in nature and only installed on BDSP systems (and presumably Revit Structure), not Revit Architecture, so there is no way for us to install the necessary extension for our RAC users.

We have three users on BDSP and three on RAC (2014). All are running the latest update and have the Revit Extensions installed (from the subscription site). We have one model that somehow was "touched" with the DReinfWall extension and now generates the error dialog on open for all of the RAC users.

Is there any way to determine which model Elements are generating this error? And if so can we remove the REX data?

I'm sure the use of DReinfWall was accidental. Other than completely un-installing all of the Revit Extensions for everyone, is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you,

Chris

Message 9 of 36
Gytaco
in reply to: SafiyaCT

I am also keen to see if there is a way to disable this across the board, or eliminate the offending element.

Message 10 of 36
suzon98

We have uninstalled this add-in long time ago, it has not been used on ANY current projects and all of a sudden ALL projects get this error message when open from my machine. Nobody else gets this error message. Also, "do not notify me again..." option does not work. It notifies every time. Clearly, this is a bug. Please advise! Thank you.

Message 11 of 36

we get this with 2014 as well. We have the 2014 extensions installed and any 2013 upgraded file gets this message.

the 'do not warn again' message does not work, neither does the save as option that is suggested.

Has it got something to do with the API code change from the 2013 extensions to the 2014 extensions and therefore revit thinks the extension is not installed....

Message 12 of 36

Hi,

Clay, are you performing the ignore operation on the central file or a local? You must close all local files, open and click do not warn on your central, and then recreate locals. Otherwise the locals will continue to write the tag back into your central and from your central into the locals. It's possible the 2014 extensions use a different unique identifier than 2013 which would explain why you're seeing the message on 2013 files.

Suzon, it is highly unlikely there is a bug here. This is very simple mechanism that tags your file with the add-in name when the add-in makes a modification to the file. If your computer is the only one experiencing this warning then it's likely that others have this add-in installed. The tag is copied to the central file, so every local has the same missing updater information. When you click "do not warn" in what I assume is your local file, every sync to central copies it back into your file. The only way not to get the warning is to have the add-in present.

Gytaco, there are no "offending" elements that can be deleted since this warning does not indicate a problem in the file, but rather warns you that you should consider installing the missing add-in if others working on the file are using it. The only way to delete the tag is to use the "do not warn" option. You can also write to the add-in provider to request that this tagging option is turned off for their add-in in future updates.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty

Message 13 of 36

Sasha

tried local first with no luck and then the central, same result

Message 14 of 36

Clay, just to double check. So you're saying, if you open the central, click do not warn, save & close, then open the central again you get the warning again?

Sasha Crotty

Message 15 of 36

yes

Message 16 of 36
Gytaco

Gytaco, there are no "offending" elements that can be deleted since this warning does not indicate a problem in the file, but rather warns you that you should consider installing the missing add-in if others working on the file are using it. The only way to delete the tag is to use the "do not warn" option. You can also write to the add-in provider to request that this tagging option is turned off for their add-in in future updates.

Hi Sasha

We have the addin installed, the offending software is the Autodesk Revit Extensions which is you guys.

Basically something has changed form the 2013 API to the 2014 API that is causing this issue on a number of the Autodesk Extension tools whether we have them installed or not.

Message 17 of 36

Have you filed a case with Autodesk support? If you haven't I suggest doing so. We will need to look at your file to determine what's going on.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty

Message 18 of 36
Gytaco

Hi Sasha

No not yet, this doesn't affect one file, it affects every project we have made with our 2013 Revit Template.

Message 19 of 36

I have been having the same issue and still have been unable to resolve.

I have tried the recommended "do not show this warning" and that has not worked, either in the central file or local file.

The add in is installed on Revit 2014 and is functioning.

I'm just wondering if anyone has made any progress on this.

Message 20 of 36
nhowell-gf
in reply to: smahaney

We just encountered this with Revit 2013.  Our solution was to go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program, find the program named “Revit Extensions for Autodesk Revit 2013”, right click and do a repair.  Not sure this will work for you but it solved our issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report