Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text in detail component family type

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
arqyt
38892 Views, 19 Replies

Text in detail component family type

Hei,

I've been doing some family as an independent construction detail revit model, I think that is the most appropriate type of detail component. Graphically everything right but I encounter the following problem, all built to type text is not visible in the project then.

How do you control the display?

or do you like I can put a text in a detail component family?

and if not visible... why would have the option of make texts?

Is the only option to annotate after in the project insertion?

Greetings to all

Jose M Carralero.
ArqyT
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: arqyt

Hello, Jose. Some days ago, I replied to this question in the Revit forum in Spanish, asking you for a image that illustrates the issue. Please provide that example, either there or here, for a better understanding of the issue.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 20
arqyt
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

that´s my component detail family

Component Detail.JPG

i can insert text for description element...

but when try to insert in a project, the text disappears. I´ve find a complex solution for the problem, using a symbol with a text parameter and yes, that appears in the project insertion.

Do you know other solution?

Jose M Carralero.
ArqyT
Message 4 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

Do the text in a separate generic annotation family, and then nest that annotation family into the Detail component family. Then the text or label will show up in the project.

I don't understand why the Text tool is available in the Detail Item family if the text does not display when the detail item is loaded into a project or nested into other families.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 20
imansamaee

The text is only for leaving comments for understating the way of family creation.

Message 6 of 20
rafael
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I have used this same kind of solution before.  Sadly, in Revit 2017, a previously functioning family now no longer displays the text from the generic annotation.  Everything looks good in the family editor, even in preview mode.  However, when loaded into the project - shazam - the text from the nested Generic Annotation is invisible, except when I click the family.  At first, I thought that it was being hidden by the filled regions.  After I deleted the filled regions, I saw that the text still would not appear.

Works perfectly in 2015

Does not work in 2017

this stinketh

Message 7 of 20
Radioaltivo
in reply to: rafael

I have the same issue as rafael, but I'm in 2015. The generic annotation does not appear once the family is inserted into the project, even though it seems all good in the family editor

Message 8 of 20
ToanDN

I did a test and it still works in 2017.  A generic annotation family nested in a Detail family loaded to a Project.

See attached file.

Message 9 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: Radioaltivo

Did you check the view visibility? Can you upload the detail family?
Message 10 of 20
Radioaltivo
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks! Here is my family

Message 11 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: Radioaltivo

It only works for detail families.  I cannot make the nested label to show up for any other model based family types such as lighting fixture, generic model, etc...

The attached family is with model text similar to what we do for signage families but I am not sure if it is usable to you.

Message 12 of 20
vdt
Observer

Have you shared parameters? after sharing parameter you can costumise text annotation

Message 13 of 20
vdt
Observer

have you shared parameter, you will change text annotation if you share parameter.
Message 14 of 20
Clntnco

I completely agree, it's a major flaw in detail components. In my opinion there should be a option to have text be a part of the family without it having to be a nested family. On top of that a quick google will show that it's been a problem for many years. 

Message 15 of 20
jbhdraughting

Any luck with this issue, it has happened to me and it is very frustrating. Shows up in the views, looks good in preview, hit print and the txt disappears, but If I print visible portion of current window it will appear again.

Message 16 of 20
dnenovMXKU9
in reply to: jbhdraughting

A hundred years later, there is still no solution to this issue. You shouldn't put text in Families it seems ... it's against nature, a crime against humanity. The intrinsic fabric of the universe will collapse and a great chasm shall open. 

Yet again I'll tell the client: "Sorry, Revit can't do".

For anyone that dares bring Tagging up - just shush.

Message 17 of 20
jparkerRHL5M

3D model text was added for displaying text in models, but for schedule items it doesn't seem very efficient, haven't even tried it.

Message 18 of 20
mike.mascaro
in reply to: imansamaee

I’ve rarely found text in a family that explains anything, and when I do, it’s typically more confusing than the family itself.

If I download a family year isn’t clear from the start, I just make my own. I’ve wasted entire days with bad families... I’ve learned to move on 😉

Message 19 of 20
HarryBPHL

Nest a Generic Annotation within the family, just need to working the text size to work with the scale you are using on your sheet

Message 20 of 20
jesseM225G
in reply to: imansamaee

That's crazy.  Sigh.  I wish this was obvious in the family editor.  I've just wasted an hour trying to get this to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report