Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text along a curve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ramoore-dgs
3069 Views, 5 Replies

Text along a curve

I want to place model text along a curve. Any clues?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ramoore-dgs

Model Text? Place one letter object and array it around the curve.... "rlmarch" wrote in message news:16161894.1080543228690.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I want to place model text along a curve. Any clues?
Message 3 of 6
ramoore-dgs

OK! Been there! But, still not satisfied.

The array does not rotate the Text Object in direct relation to the angle of each "turn around the circle." The text is kept at the angle it was originally set prior to the array. The means you have to rotate each object to its correct angle after the array.

This would be really groovy except for the fact there is no way to "exactly" establish the angle in relation to it's position around the circle.

Plus the purely sucky fact that Polar Arrays aren't allowed in the Family Editor! What's up with that?

These kind of arrays have been basic to AutoCAD forever! What's with Revit?

I love Revit so far. It's just that some things that have been basic to even the lowliest of CAD programs aren't present in this one.

I was trying to create an annotation family for my registration stamp. This is a round thing that has lots of characters set in relation to a circle. I got it done but it was a 3 hour process by the time I finally got it to display correctly and after a whole bunch of useless "hoop-de-doos" and added guideline stuff that never would have happened in AutoCAD.

I also tried to import my AutoCAD stamp in to the Revit Family with absolutely no success. FRUSTRATINGGGGGG!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I was reading your post thinking 'just import your ACAD stamp' until i got to the last line. We've imported all of our stamps. What kind of problem are you having when bringing in the DWG? "rlmarch" wrote in message news:23540110.1080844292101.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > OK! Been there! But, still not satisfied. > > The array does not rotate the Text Object in direct relation to the angle of each "turn around the circle." The text is kept at the angle it was originally set prior to the array. The means you have to rotate each object to its correct angle after the array. > > This would be really groovy except for the fact there is no way to "exactly" establish the angle in relation to it's position around the circle. > > Plus the purely sucky fact that Polar Arrays aren't allowed in the Family Editor! What's up with that? > > These kind of arrays have been basic to AutoCAD forever! What's with Revit? > > I love Revit so far. It's just that some things that have been basic to even the lowliest of CAD programs aren't present in this one. > > I was trying to create an annotation family for my registration stamp. This is a round thing that has lots of characters set in relation to a circle. I got it done but it was a 3 hour process by the time I finally got it to display correctly and after a whole bunch of useless "hoop-de-doos" and added guideline stuff that never would have happened in AutoCAD. > > I also tried to import my AutoCAD stamp in to the Revit Family with absolutely no success. FRUSTRATINGGGGGG!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

My guess - lot's of short choppy lines. If you make a graphic in something like Illustrator, then send it to AutoCAD, you get a lot of short broken lines. If it were drawn in AutoCAD there should be no problem. Make sure it is 1:1 scale. Of course you could always export the stamp as a jpeg. Revit should be happy with that. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:406c888c_1@newsprd01... I was reading your post thinking 'just import your ACAD stamp' until i got to the last line. We've imported all of our stamps. What kind of problem are you having when bringing in the DWG?
Message 6 of 6
ramoore-dgs

I was trying to do this inside the Family Editor by opening up a Generic Annotation Family and then importing the AutoCAD drawing of my stamp into the family. I made sure the import dialog had a custom scale of 1:1, set the selection to B&W and Center to Center. Hit OK and then nothing. Blank display with no drawing apparently present. I check the list on the Undo Pull Down and it indicates the drawing has been imported. All kinds of zooms and checking the View Graphics modes and whatever yield to drawing whatsoever.

So...I give up on that. I try importing the stamp drawing into just a project. A-HA! It comes in, albeit not too recognizable. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am running screen resolution of 1600x1200 on a 19" screen. Whatever! So...I say to myself...I'll just copy this thing to the clipboard, open up the Generic Annotation Family again and paste it. NO DICE! A not allowed error! How stoopud is this!

Anyway...I finally got the stamp done inside the Family Editor. The idea that polar arrays are not allowed inside there is still a STOOPUD concept to me. Why not? What's it gonna' hurt? If I want to array sumpin'....let me array it! FRUSTRATING!!!

What I ended up doing was to generate some guidelines around the top and bottom of the expected text height (circles) and also mirror copying some radial lines from the center of the circle to the outer guideline circle. I then placed the first text object, copy-rotated it to the new position for the next letter, and edited it for angle of rotation. Repeating this for all 36 letters finally got the job done! SHEESH!

Another thing! What is with this program NOT mirroring text angles in relation to the opposite angle it was set, ala AutoCAD! If you set a text object at 45 degrees in AutoCAD and mirror it, the new text object sits at 135 degrees....a true mirror! NOT REVIT! What's up with that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report