Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Dimensions

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rfender3333
2967 Views, 13 Replies

Temporary Dimensions

Can Temporary Dimensions be turned off and on with a setting.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
LisaDrago
in reply to: rfender3333

No - you cannot turn off temp dimensions. They are there to help you model as you go.

Why would you want to turn them off?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 14

The answer that has been given is not only not what people want to hear, but its downright arrogant and rude.

Why would you want to turn off Temporary dimensions? Well simple, when you are placing components and hundres of the **** things pop up, you DONT WANT THEM THERE! That's why we want to turn them off. 

Now are there any plans to put a feature in where they can be turned on and off at will?

Message 4 of 14
AJA14
in reply to: BarryLeggins1161

Hi Barry. 

Lisa's question was not rude and she is right, they are there to help you. You can change their behaviour but not their appearance. Check out the options dialog, the manage temporary dimensions, and advanced family creation to better understand how they behave. 

Actually, a lot of people (including myself) believe that listening dimensions are part of what make REVIT a very successfull tool. 

If you are interested in making them disappear, simply add that to the wishlist in the autodesk website. People here are trying to help you. 

Regards, 

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 14

Hello BarryLeggins1161 and welcome to the discussion!

I will not apologize for my response. Please do not read more into it then what it really is.

I see you are new to the discussion boards which is awesome! We always welcome more member to our discussion.

As for my question of why... If the board can get a better understanding of the thought processes and what is trying to be accomplish - there may be an other option or workaround. We don't know that until we ask ... Why.

I hope you continue to post and become an active member of the board!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 6 of 14
BarryLeggins1161
in reply to: AJA14

Actually the way that she put it was rude and I won't apologise for saying that. Perhaps Lisa could take a few seconds more when replying to consider that people may read her responses differently. I realise people there are trying to help, that's why I tried to find answers there. I have no doubt that the various aspects of Revit make it very popular, I'm not disputing its popularity. I simply asked if the temporary dimensions could be turned off when their use is more of a burden than a help. Which IS the case when pasting cad floor plans and they project hundreds of the dimensions all over the place. Thank you for your attacks and informing me of the wish list. Architectural Concepts Tel: 031 916 7116 Tel/Fax: 031 916 7117 Please do not print emails. Be environmentally conscious.
Message 7 of 14
benhagerman
in reply to: LisaDrago

Temporary dimensions are very helpful and I agree, make Revit more useful. However, it would also be very useful to be able to turn them off. For instance, when placing instances of plantings, I tend to not give as much concern over the location and instead want to place them as quickly as possible. It is inevitable that I will need to place a tree or shrub where a temp. dimension is shown relative to the last instance and either requires hitting esc. or placing a shrub in another location. More often though, I keep on placing instances and instead of placing the shrub or tree in the desired location, I instead make a temp. dimension a permanent one, which requires deleting it and then re-placing the intended planting family. As with most things in Revit, having more control is better than having less control.

Message 8 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: benhagerman

@benhagerman

when placing instances of plantings, I tend to not give as much concern over the location and instead want to place them as quickly as possible. It is inevitable that I will need to place a tree or shrub where a temp. dimension is shown relative to the last instance and either requires hitting esc. or placing a shrub in another location. 

You only need to turn Snap Off then you won't be bothered by temporary dimensions for such tasks.

Message 9 of 14
purvigirwin
in reply to: ToanDN

I have a circumstance where you might want them off. I want to take a quick video orbting the model in 3D around a particular object. I click on that object to make it the center of my orbit but then I get a temporary dimension in the middle of my screen and it shows up in the video. Now, I know that I could do a flythrough, or walkthrough, but I just want a quick little video to send to a fabricator so that they can understand how something is put together. 

Purvi Gandhi Irwin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C (she/her)
Message 10 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: purvigirwin

@purvigirwin

If not showing temporary dimensions when orbiting is important to you, then instead of selecting an object, use Center under Navigation Wheel to set your orbiting anchor point.  It's a bit more cumbersome but you can get used to it after a few times.

Message 11 of 14
benhagerman

The Snap Off (SO) feature works for one instance. But when placing more than once instance the SO feature comes back and the user is required to turn snaps off for each instance placed, not useful. Still need an option to display temporary dimensions or not. Seems like I have run across this option... maybe in a dream?

@ToanDN wrote:

@benhagerman

"You only need to turn Snap Off then you won't be bothered by temporary dimensions for such tasks."

Message 12 of 14
purvigirwin

Awesome! Thanks so much for the tip (and the video). Worked perfectly.

Purvi Gandhi Irwin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C (she/her)
Message 13 of 14
Base12
in reply to: rfender3333

If the temporary dimension ever connected to some logical reference point that might not be so bad... or if you're trying to modify the location of an object using the dimension that you've already placed, then you click on the thing to move it, and guess what?  The temporary dimension occurs EXACTLY on top of the intention dimensions every. ****. time. so you have to zoom in with a microscope to isolate the dimension you need to adjust.  This does not help design flow.  Some shift+ toggle to turn these on an off (like the half dozen other toggles for hiding/revealing objects) would be tremendously beneficial.  While I'm ranting, I'd like to see a list of things that have ever actually been added to an Autodesk product from the wish list.

Message 14 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: Base12

@Base12 wrote:

While I'm ranting, I'd like to see a list of things that have ever actually been added to an Autodesk product from the wish list.

The complaint department is down the hall to left and the IDEAS forum is just a bit farther.

Product feedback is where your rant belongs.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report