Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Roof Insulation with further modifications

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
IAN~JAMES
2070 Views, 3 Replies

Tapered Roof Insulation with further modifications

Hi,

I am modelling a flat roof which has an indentation on plan so isn't a regular rectangular roof. I am currently on Method 2 of modelling the roof (By Footprint) and I am trying to modify the Sub Elements (The insulation is a Variable material in the build up). The slope is constant 1 in 50 fall from right to left so I want to be able to elevate the points at the indentation so that they meet that fall and would therefor not display the hip/valley lines that are showing on this sketch

Hips and valleys

The Hips and valleys are only displaying because of the inacuracy in manually nudging the points up/down. Is there a better way of achieving this? Here is the same roof with the handles displayed:

Handles Showing

Any hints/tips/suggestions well and truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
IAN~JAMES
in reply to: IAN~JAMES

Incidentally... Method 1 of modelling this was to draw roof by extrusion and then modify the insulation thickness to achieve the 1 in 50 fall, but I then found out that I couldn't use the Vertical Tool to modify the plan profile.

Vertical

I didn't get any error message or explanation, Revit just seemed to ignore that I had actually done anything.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 4
loboarch

I was able to get this to work by first drawing a flat roof by footprint in a rectangle shape.  Then I used the slab modification tools to get a slope.  You have to use this tool if you want to get a layer in the roof to be variable, otherwise the entire roof will slope (top and bottom edges.)  Once the slope of the roof is established I used the vertical opening tool to cut the opening through it like you showed in your example.  This gives a sloped roof without the facets you show in your example.

sloped_roof.png

Here is a short video showing the steps I used and the results.  (No audio.)

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 4
IAN~JAMES

Thanks...

I was totally confused. This does seem to work.

The above example with problems was created by drawing the footprint on plan rather than using the Vertical Opening tool.

Apologies for the confusion and thanks for the solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report