Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tags and Schedule Differences

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
IMCornish
520 Views, 3 Replies

Tags and Schedule Differences

Why are Label Prefixes not shown in Schedules?  For instance a Pipe tag label could have a prefix of 'F' for foul water, such that a pipe might be tagged as F 24, however the Pipe 'Mark' cannot have this Prefix and therfore the Schedule shows the Pipe as '24'.  Subsequently a contractor looks at the drawings sees a pipe tagged F 24 but cannot cross reference it to the Schedule which shows only the Mark No.

Is there a way around this other than adding the desired prefix to the 'Mark' No. and removing it from the label so that the tag does not duplicate it?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maciejwypych
in reply to: IMCornish

pipe might be tagged as F 24, however the Pipe 'Mark' cannot have this Prefix and therfore the Schedule shows the Pipe as '24'. 

Why?

Remove prefix from the tag, and Mark your pipes as F24.

Or even better add a shared parameter to the pipes, for pipe category, which will drive the prefix, and then you'll have it in a schedule.

Yes, it will be in a separate column, but even the "brightest" contactor should be able to read it. (You can group the header and call it mark, and have pipe category and pipe number)

I hope that someday Autodesk will add strings to formulas and this problem will disapear.

Message 3 of 4
IMCornish
in reply to: maciejwypych

Thanks for your response and I have to say that I am already resorting to the ideas you have suggested but hoped against hope that there was a proper way to do it. I therefore concur with your hope.
Why have the ability to add a prefix if it cannot be used? It makes no sense.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: IMCornish

I understand your frustration, but the reason why it does not show is that the schedule is reading the parameter value from the object.  The label prefix only exists in the tag, not on the object scheduled.  The schedule has no way of knowing whether or not the object has been tagged, let alone whether or not a tag that is applied has a label that displays that parameter and, if so, whether that label has a prefix or not, and if it does, what value that prefix might hold.  If you want it in the schedule, you need to make it part of the parameter.

Unfortuately, Revit does not currently support the concatenation of two or more text parameter values into one parameter (or the conversion of a numeric value to text, or vice versa).

One possible use of a prefix would be to add text that explains what the value means.  For example, a room tag could have a label that includes the display of a parameter holding the area of the room.  A prefix on that label could add "AREA:  " as a prefix to the area value, so that all would know what that value represented.  In a schedule, the column header would be able to provide that information, without the need (and probably not the desire) to have "AREA:  " show for each value.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report