Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging Detail Components - Repeating Details

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2879 Views, 7 Replies

Tagging Detail Components - Repeating Details

I've noticed it's possible to tag detail components, but it doesn't seem to be possible to tag repeating details. This would be a helpful feature as one could 'tag' the type comments of individual objects and globally change them through out a project. Keynotes don't seem to find repeating details either. Any input would be great. Thanks.

-Ian
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There is not a way to tag a repeating detail. The best route to go is place
one instance of the detail component used to make the repeating detail right
on top of the repeating detail where you want to attach the tag. Then tag
the individual component you just placed.

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - Technical Publications
Building Solutions Division
Manchester, NH

wrote in message news:5502287@discussion.autodesk.com...
I've noticed it's possible to tag detail components, but it doesn't seem to
be possible to tag repeating details. This would be a helpful feature as one
could 'tag' the type comments of individual objects and globally change them
through out a project. Keynotes don't seem to find repeating details either.
Any input would be great. Thanks.

-Ian
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

What about the insulation object - it would be nice to populate a keynote legend with this data.

It appears that anything I don't define as a detail component can't be included in keynote legend directly.

THis being the case I am thinking if I want to use then I need a "dumb tag" that is really text and any graphic like a diamond or box graphic and then add a text with a two segment leader which mimics the "Look" of a keynote from Revit. I place as a group and explode to edit. Then I would need to go to a view that isn't for printing and add a single instance of something/anything defined as a detail component and assign the keynote value and at some point if needed update the driving text file so the legend stays complete.

Is there an easier way I am missing - My gut says this is worth the effort but I don't like the fact that I am having to manually manage instead of leveraging the underlying principle of relational databases which is what Revit is to me - to enter data once - This appraoch requires me to place two places to stay 100% synced up.

Look forward to your feedback -
Message 4 of 8
gsucci

Hello,

this issue is still persistent in Revit Arch. 2013. This is five years after the original thread.

I know this question is quite pointless, but what is the rational behind taking off the type comment parameter from the repeating detail family? And what about the keynote parameter? Why would that be taken away from the repeating detail family?

As previously noted, some users try to use Revit in the most BIM effective way, and these little quirks disseminated here and there within the program constantly fight back the effort.

Thank you

regards

Message 5 of 8
vpierre
in reply to: gsucci

Talk about one step forward and 2 steps back.

The part I don't understand is that the repeating detail family is clearly taking the info from the original family, do why not bring in the parameters within the family as well?

Message 6 of 8
eblackburnEFFVJ

15 years later and we are still unable to use a Detail Tag on a Repeating Detail Item that is using a single Detail Item spread across a set distance. Instead, we have programmers working diligently on creating Dark Themes and other non-productive tasks while glaring deficiencies continue to be overlooked.

Message 7 of 8
dascorpus
in reply to: eblackburnEFFVJ

@eblackburnEFFVJ There are people learning how to use Revit who are younger than this thread!

Message 8 of 8
eblackburnEFFVJ

I have discovered that if you create a Detail Item that is line based and uses a nested detail item in a parametric array, it can accomplish the same thing as a repeating detail item and be taggable. The trick is in creating an adjustable end piece to fill the void with a partial item so you're not left with a blank space because there isn't room for a whole element. This is an advanced technique, but entirely possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report