Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag by Material not working in RCP or Elevation view with Filled Region

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3292 Views, 2 Replies

Tag by Material not working in RCP or Elevation view with Filled Region

My office has just started to embrace the greatness of Tag by Material in our drawings but we finally ran into a limitation of Revit Architecture 2014. 

Basically when attempting to Tag by Material in an RCP view or Elevation view, filled regions tend to confuse this command and change the description to a "?".  In floor plan or section views I have not had this problem but it appears to be trouble in RCP and Elevation views. 

Any chance this might be a correctable issue or is it just a limitation of Revit?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

Nikkovatch

I would not really call this a "limitation"

When you use a tag, it displays whatever information that tag has been told to display, of the object it is pointed to. Filled regions have no material, and so nothing will show up on a material Tag. This is logical.

You could simply move where the tag is pointing to by moving the grip of the leader line on the tag.

The reason this seems to "work" in plan and section views is because the walls carry on past the view extents. This is not the case if you try to tag a floor that has a filled region infront, or a ceiling or an elevation of a wall face.

If this is a big problem for you, then you could create a Shared parameter, Call it Filled Region Material, set it as a material parameter, add it to the project as a project parameter for detail items and create a detail item tag to use in the case where you need to tag the material of a filled region.

see attached image of RCP tagged ceiling

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

@Alisder.Brown wrote:

Nikkovatch

I would not really call this a "limitation"

When you use a tag, it displays whatever information that tag has been told to display, of the object it is pointed to. Filled regions have no material, and so nothing will show up on a material Tag. This is logical.

You could simply move where the tag is pointing to by moving the grip of the leader line on the tag.

The reason this seems to "work" in plan and section views is because the walls carry on past the view extents. This is not the case if you try to tag a floor that has a filled region infront, or a ceiling or an elevation of a wall face.

If this is a big problem for you, then you could create a Shared parameter, Call it Filled Region Material, set it as a material parameter, add it to the project as a project parameter for detail items and create a detail item tag to use in the case where you need to tag the material of a filled region.

see attached image of RCP tagged ceiling 

Hmm.. I understand that tags display whatever they have been told to display but why would a Filled Region ever be considered a "material"?  The biggest problem I have is that I am trying to tag a material and a filled region (non-material) is getting in the way of me doing this. 

I appreciate your time and the suggestion but it really doesn't solve the issue of tagging by material (using the actual material parameters and not the type parameters of a filled region).  I had considered this option before but it was quickly shot down.

What seems really odd to me is that I can indeed tag a floor with a material tag and it will ignore the filled region (it doesn't seem to make a difference if the extents of a wall or floor are shown).  Filled regions are annotations and shouldn't necessarily get in front of Model elements right?  I guess I'm still a bit confused as to why Floor Plans seem to work fine but not RCPs (view Range issues?)

Anyhow, still a bit frustrated with this one.  Smiley Frustrated  I appreciate the quick response and hope I can figure out a better work around than using Shared Parameters (as this adds a couple extra steps and still won't allow me to use the Tag by Material properly). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report