Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Line Detailing in Family

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
MKEllis
1145 Views, 4 Replies

Symbol Line Detailing in Family

Another of those queries trying to find out how other people approach Revit (the joys of working as the solo Revit pioneer in the practice)

I am in the middle of putting together various families - and have been experimenting with symbol lines for the detailing at reveals / heads etc.

For the moment I had simply used masked regions to create the joinery of frames, beads, architraves etc. which works fine, apart from not being able to use any fills at family level - leaving it to call-out drafting to add the detail in the project.

I tried the alternate of using Detail Components within the family (a simple rectangular joinery section) with shared parameters so that it can be driven by the host family - which allows drafting fills to be used.

It looks better and will save time placing fills later on to call-out details.

But - is there any impact on performance in doing this (every section now shows the fill when set at 'Fine') - is this a standard approach, or am I better leaving the symbol linework as hatch-free in the family itself - and leaving it all for addition in individual call-outs ?

Thanks

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
josh
in reply to: MKEllis

Martin,

Coming from a fellow solo Revit pioneer in the office, and having to re-create most of our families and details. You are describing the way that I have been doing it, and have not noticed any performance lags due to it. I find the performance slow-down from my end mostly comes from groups and assemblies, even within families. So I have been nesting families, and have found this works leaps and bounds better/quicker than the alternate. 

Would be interesting if there was another solution though, because at times it can get confusing with multiple files and families together.

Message 3 of 5
MKEllis
in reply to: josh

Thanks Josh,

I've actually decided to stick with the masked regions for the time being. The filled regions in families don't appear as cleanly on the mid-range sections (where I still want to show the fine detail level).

At least that's the case for the internal screens and doors that I'm working on at the moment - it will probably change for some of the other families.

When you are working alone (at least as the lone architect) on Revit, it's often difficult to know whether you are on the right track re. work flows etc. There are normally so many different ways of achieving the same ends - but some routes have knock-on effects that I am simply not aware of at the time.

Like yourself, I've ended up with a fair number of nested families in doors and screens, but they seem to function well at the moment - at least for me as I know my way around the families that I've created. The real test is whether somebody else can come to them and understand how they work.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 4 of 5

I had too, such kind of dilemmas .... I try now to draw some conclusions for myself on this subject.

1. In  case of Architecture Design -  buildings, especialy for  large ones ,I use by preference masked regions with a 2d detail in Callout . I think ( at this moment ) that this is much simplier and keeps the file in a smaller size. Here, I can make some completed 2 d details attached or not on the model . Drafting Views are also very helpful. In fact I don't need to show the detail many times, just once and only in Callouts...
  2. When I work at an interior design project including furniture , I  use , by preference, details in Families....even if this make the file much largerFamilies with many parameters can dramaticaly increase the size of the file)...and in this case I do a very detailed 3d not only a detailed 2d .  I have no preconceptions to use even here Callouts with Masked Regions, when possible.

Anyway , in practice I use a combination of both methods more of 1 than 2 . What it matters is the Project itself and the necessity to make it clear for myself , the owner and for construction purposes.

Now,  I think that method 2 , perhaps could be more adequate in case of a template. Possible , but , taking in consideration that I am a partisan of  Additive Template ( instead of more widespread Substactive Template)  that is not a drawback for me...Speaking about Additive Template : Even here I am obsessed by the size of the file. 

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 5

Sounds like good advice Constantin.

I can see when it would be good to have the fills as part of the family - and therefore use Detail Components. I found that it was quite easy to use - and gave a consistency to the appearance of details (rather than call-out specific fills that may vary from detail to detail depending on who draws it).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report