Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switch placement mode

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
5821 Views, 7 Replies

switch placement mode

In trying to place a component I recieved the following error: "Couldn't
find an appropriate Host. Try selecting a different Host Face or switch
Placement Mode."

How do I switch placement mode? Is this something I need to do in the
component family itself?

Thanks!

-Jawknee 99
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IMCornish
in reply to: Anonymous

I am working in Revit 14 and have exactly the same problem which I do not remember from previous issues of the software.  Won't bore you with details but have a work-plane based family but it will only recognise 'faces' rather than work planes.

Hope someone can let us know soon!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: IMCornish

Still no easy answer to this?

Maybe the pop-up should include an explanation

Message 4 of 8
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: Anonymous

This is happening because you don't place it on any geometry (the potential host). But most probably, you wan't the level to be the host (or any other work plane).

Open the family in the family editor and check "Work Plane-Based". Before placing the component, check "Place on Work Plane".

0.jpg1.jpg

Andrej Ilić

name spelled phonetically: ændreɪ ilich
M.Arch.

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

Face based families can be placed on a workplane too.
Message 6 of 8
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, but some families don't give the control. I noticed something strange. If the host is not hovered (there is no geometry beneath), the work-plane automatically becomes a host for the component that I'm trying to place. But sometimes this works and sometimes it does not. I noticed that I get a "No" sign and If i try to place the component I get that message @Anonymous described. So what I did i just to check "work plane-based" so that I can avoid the problem.

11.jpg

Andrej Ilić

name spelled phonetically: ændreɪ ilich
M.Arch.

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

Thing is if the family is already face based then it is not easy to change it to workplane based, if at all.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for your help!

I am unable to change the 'host' on my version; whether it is because I have a student version, or the family wasn't designed by me, I'm not sure...

However, it does say the host is 'face' so you'd think that it would be easily placed on a wall. Instead, the last known loaded family type appears.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report