Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweep blend path problem with segments

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cekuhnen
2508 Views, 7 Replies

sweep blend path problem with segments

The manual states that a path can be a combination of lines and curves:

Specify the sweep path:

• To sketch a new path for the sweep, click Modify | Sweep tabSweep panel (Sketch Path).

The path can either be a single closed or single open path. You cannot have multiple paths. The path can be a combination of straight lines and curves, and it need not be planar.

this does not work for sweep blend????

Capture.PNG

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Unlike a sweep form, swept blends cannot be created along multi-segmented paths. However, profiles can be open, closed, or a combination of both.

Here is more details

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-DC56F7E5-E10E-49CC-92CC-AD7B3E85C683

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 8

thank you for the link but I think this does not solve the problem or I missread it.

the main deal is that as it looks Revit explodes the file size when you use a spline path for a sweep blend. so I wanted to build it in segments to trim down the data Revit prefers to overload the file with.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 8

The llink I provided is good when you are in conceptional mass or creating mass element within the project.

Sweep blend is used when you have two diffrent profiles and you are allow to select one segmented path only. so you could creat as many line as possible but you need to do it segment by segment.

I guess you bette off with sweep. To reduce the file size you need to use more lines instead of curves and this also applied to the profile in question.

123221.png

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 8

I simply split the seat shell into segments and created for each unite a sweep or sweep blend based on what was needed and then had fun matching the start and end profiles to each other.

Snapping tools in Revit are really inferior - but at the end it worked.

File size also went down from 2 MB to 345 KB.

Thanks for looking into this!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 8

I am glad you end up making it to work, it may take more time to do things manually (use reference plane and align things together instead of using the move snap workflow)

but as long the family is simple it will simplify the project and it will optimize the speed of the model regen since a project is somehow an assembly of all loaded families' elements.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 7 of 8

"use reference plane and align things together instead of using the move snap workflow"

I am not sure if I understand you here correctly.

The sweep tool places the profile plane at the center of the line/lines

and the sweep blend places the profile planes at the end and start and rotates it accordingly.

I simply from a side created the product lines/arcs tangent to each other but then copy and past the profiles and moving them to the center of the profile plane is where the snapping in Revit drastically fails as it snaps to not really what a mid point or intersection snap should do. It looks it is just pretty much lacks precision. So I ended up moving the profiles by hand with the mouse courser till they the arc for the shell was at the center of the profile plane.

I hope what I wrote makes sense 😉 English isn't my native language!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 8

I thought you were talking about once the element is created in 3d then you could use reference plane and align both elements faces to the same plane. 

But I think what you are doing is a better way since you copied the profile that is hosted on profile plane so it will  snap on the new active profile plane, I guess you need to use the move/snap feature.

By the way your english is good and my english isn't my native lanuguage, no worries.

For future, you could download Screen case from autodesk site to create videos (free), it will help others to better visualize the issue, since we are using 3d models, it is helpful to have a video.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report