Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping furniture for furniture systems

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1425 Views, 6 Replies

Swapping furniture for furniture systems

Is there a way to take a furniture object placed in a model (say a table) and switch it out with a premade furniture system (say a workstation) without deleting the table and replacing it with the workstation. Basically - is there a simple way to make Revit not limit family swapping to only families in the same category? This comes up a lot at my office for everything from access panels to casework families and we spend time redoing dimensions, tags, etc.

-Trevor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SteveKStafford
in reply to: Anonymous

Nothing that is built into Revit now. It would take some custom programming with the API to capture the location of the family you'd like to replace and then use that to insert the replacement. It would be tricky because not all families are created with the same notion of origin or placement technique. It's quite likely we could get it swapped with the API but still have to fix the position or orientation of it afterward. In the end that might not feel much different than deleting and replacing.

Revit itself has always been developed with a heavy bias toward category isolation. From their perspective Systems Furniture (Furniture System category) isn't Furniture in Revit, and that's true in the real world for the most part too.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 7
aaronrumple

Work Around:

Make a Furniture System family as a placeholder. A simple box will do.

Select all the items you want to change and change them to your placeholder family.

Open the placeholder family. Change the category to Furniture. Reload.

Now you can select all instances of the placeholder and change them to the furniture item you wanted.

Message 4 of 7

I sure hope he got past this issue...five years ago ;(

Yes, I know the answer is aimed at a new search query arrival 🙂

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 7

Still trying to teach the office how to use design options....

Some things never end.

Message 6 of 7

Preaching to the choir 🙂

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

You could have opened the furniture family and nested in the system furniture family 5 years ago.
In a related note, we normally place system family placeholders and nest in furniture families in later development.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report