Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface pattern orientation problem in garage door family

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mpukas
662 Views, 2 Replies

surface pattern orientation problem in garage door family

I'm creating a new garage door faimly by using the out-of-the box Revit 2014 Overhead-Sectional door family. I've added a frame, and a veneer layer on the exterior surface of the stock panel by making an extrusion. I want this veneer layer to be vertical wood boards. I assigned a material parameter to the extrusion. 

The issue I am having is the surface pattern is showing up at 90 degrees to the proper orientation, whether I'm in the family itself or if I load the family into a project. 

In the family, if I choose a material - say metal - and assign a model pattern of verical lines to the material, and then assign the same material to the wall, stock panel, and the extrusion I created, the pattern shows properly on the wall and stock panel, but 90 degress (or horizontal in this case) on the extrusion I made. 

I spoke w/ tech support at CAD-1, and they said there seems to be a problem with the work plane(s) in the stock family, and suggested I download a new file f/ SEEK. I downloaded a new Overhead-Sectional Revit 2012 file, recreated my custom door, and I get the same problem with surface pattern orientation. 

The file I've attahced is the one downloaded f/ SEEK. It shows how the surface pattern shows correctly on the wall and stock panel, but not on the extrusion. Also, in the 3D view, if you select the extrusion to display the shape arrows, and click on the center arrows to drag to the interior or exterior, the extrusion extends in the opposite direction you drag the arrows. 

Does anyone have any feedback, or a fix for this issue? Thanks much. mpp

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AJA14
in reply to: mpukas

Hi,

Make a duplicate of the material and change the orientation of the cut pattern to 0 instead of 90.

Or, create your extrusion parallel to plan not elevation. Your back extrusion was created in plan and your pattern is 90 degrees to the workplane.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 3
mpukas
in reply to: mpukas

Thanks for the response. Copying and changing the orientation of the pattern makes sense, but it's seems a work-around and would be a hassle having to do that in every project that Ioad the family into. 

The work plane topic also makes sense, and I was trying to trouble-shoot along those lines, but I made another version using a different door family as a template, and it has the stock door panel extrusion in plan and the veneer facing extrusion in elevation, and it works fine. The surface pattern shows up properly on both extrusions and the wall. 

Thanks again. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report