Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subterranean Room

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
hmunsell
6646 Views, 11 Replies

Subterranean Room

I have a building that has a, larger perimeter, underground enclosure. When I cut a section of the property, the underground shaft and  enclosure gets filled in by the Topo fill pattern. Normally, id just use the building Pad tool but this “underground” portion is outside the perimeter of the above ground building. The “Elevation of poche Base” does not seem to take into account the underground conditions.

Since there is not “Section Region” (like Plan Region), The only thing I can think of to do is turn off the Topo fill pattern in the section and manually ad fills around the underground enclosure.

Does anyone have any ideas on this….. any other way to do it?

HJM

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hmunsell
in reply to: hmunsell

Image of Section through Site...

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
rlosh

HJM:

Try using an In-Place Site family.  You could have (2) extrusions - one for the shaft and one for the room.  Then you can join the extrusions together.  Set their material to something transparent.  You can size the extrusions to exactly where you need the earth cut.  Please see the attached screenshot.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 12
hmunsell
in reply to: rlosh

GOOD CALL! ...... that will work for now. I’ll have to show my architect how to do that now. I’m sure he'll fuss a little because he has to do 2 extra steps, but if there is no other way then that is what he will have to do……

Hopefully Revit will come up with a fix like having the Fill acknowledge the walls under the surface and wrap around them.

Thanks again

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
hmunsell

Spoke too soon......

even though the material shading is set to transparent, it is still seems to be filling the space with a fill so you can’t see items in the distance. I added several rooms with doors in the lower room and  none of them show in the section.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Try this solution I wrote for the Augi forum last year:

"Here is an example of solution for showing underground structures:

1. Create your levels, such as "Level 1" , "Cellar top", "Cellar bottom".
2. On the site plan, create your site as usual.
3. On "Cellar bottom" create your slab, your walls, your components, as needed.
4. Copy the slab from "Cellar bottom" to "Cellar top".
5. From the site plan, create a building pad. Set the thickness of the pad exactly as the thickness of the slab. Set the level of the pad to be "Cellar top", with a positive offset, equal to the thickness of the slab, so that the pad overlaps exactly with the slab.
6. From the site plan, Massing and Site > Split surface > Select the site, sketch the split as per the floor plan of your cellar.
7. From a section view, type VG, and set Topography to transparent.

See illustration"

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 12
rlosh

Darn.  I thought I had it, there.  Sorry about that.

Message 8 of 12
hmunsell
in reply to: rlosh

not a problem..... i had been working on it for a couple hours and havent been able to come up with anything. im going to try Alfredo sugestion Monday..... too late to try now, time for me to go Home.....

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
hmunsell
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Nope, I still couldn’t get it to work..... i tried to attach the model for you (or anyone else) to play with and to see if maybe I have drawn something wrong, but it is too large (3.25 mg)? I don’t think I did anything incorrect, but I have been known to be wrong on occasion 🙂 .

I would be happy to email the model it to anyone interested in playing with it, just let me know and ill send it over to ya.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

A colleague from California has brought to my attention that the procedure described in post #9, above, (from February 2011), which used to work so well when I posted this solution, no longer works with the recent versions of Revit. True.

The only reason I can think of, is a change in the Visibility Graphics window at some point between Revit 2012 and Revit 2013 in regards to transparency. If I remember correctly, the Visibility Graphics window had the option for transparency as a check mark (as shown on the image above), and, starting from Revit 2013, transparency is set with a slider from 0 to 100. That could have affected this trick.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 11 of 12
kfielding
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, 

I'm intrigued by your suggest, I've followed your notes, but can't reproduce what you've displayed, can you post a file.

Thanks.

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 12 of 12
kenmarcus
in reply to: kfielding

Kevin,

As Alfredo mentioned previously, I too was trying to reproduce his steps and couldn't get it to work. I contacted him directly and we discussed that there must have been a change in the program that no longer allows this method to work.

I am working with a client that designs underground caves and rooms for wineries so I need to find a solution that works. I will post other possible options once I discover them

Ken Marcus

RFI Consultants Inc.

Oakland, CA

www.rfi.consultants.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report