Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subregion changes the contours of a toposurface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
damo3
1032 Views, 4 Replies

Subregion changes the contours of a toposurface

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-Architecture/Creating-SUBREGION-changes-the-landscape/m-p/336905...

So the link above is to what appears to be a documented problem. When creating subregions on a toposurface with contours, the subregion effects the contours effectively changing it. 

So we are in Revit 2014, and this problem is still here... this correct? Teaching this to students does not help when Revit doesn't work. 

Any work arounds or fixes would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Any word from Autodesk on getting it together and fixing such a dumb issue or is this due to be fixed in the 2022 release when they overhaul the site tools? 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jkcameron
in reply to: damo3

I realize this is an old thread but this bug/problem still remains in the newest 2019 release.  This is unacceptable.  I realize Revit topography is not for Civil Construction Documents but I would like to at least label the contour correctly for diagrammatic purposes for not only us (architects) but the client as well.  This needs to be fixed 4 years ago.  Could someone tell me how to formally submit a bug report so it actually gets read by Autodesk.  At the price per seat we pay for this program...  unacceptable.  Put an intern on it for god sake.  I love Revit, but when I have to use another program for something as simple as contour labeling... ridiculous.

Autodesk I would like a response of some kind on this one please.

jkc

@damo3 wrote:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-Architecture/Creating-SUBREGION-changes-the-landscape/m-p/336905...

So the link above is to what appears to be a documented problem. When creating subregions on a toposurface with contours, the subregion effects the contours effectively changing it. 

So we are in Revit 2014, and this problem is still here... this correct? Teaching this to students does not help when Revit doesn't work. 

Any work arounds or fixes would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Any word from Autodesk on getting it together and fixing such a dumb issue or is this due to be fixed in the 2022 release when they overhaul the site tools? 

Message 3 of 5
Homsey-CCH
in reply to: jkcameron

I'm working on a site plan today, and making subregions or splitting the surface still distorts the original topo, making lots of jagged artifacts in the previously smooth topo lines.  Making a subregion to represent a walkway changes the area of the path from something reasonable looking with a constant slope, to a mess of irregular short and steep steps interspersed with smooth portions.

A subregion should not change the topo in any way.  A split surface might need to, but even then it should be unaffected unless the split portion is moved.  Revit has needed a better topo interpolation algorithm for a long time;  please address this glaring weakness in the software that makes site work so slow and difficult whenever there is any but the gentlest of topography.  All I see is excuses like "add more points".  We have 1-foot contour lines and the software should be able to smoothly interpolate between them without needing hundreds of points being manually and tediously added.  And if you do all that work, it can be instantly messed up if you then need to modify split surfaces or subregions.  The work flow is terrible.

The image below shows what should be a smoothly sloping walk (a subregion).  All the jagged portions appeared when the subregion was made.  (done in Revit 2020)

Topo issue 2.JPG

Message 4 of 5
tyler.b.call
in reply to: jkcameron

I am having this same issue in Revit 2020....anyone have a solution?

Message 5 of 5
rkelleyPKW7G
in reply to: damo3

I am working in Revit 2023 and this is STILL a major issue!!!! There is effectively NO WAY for me to possibly get the paths on my topogrpahy without ruining it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report