Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure visibility of multilayer elements such as walls and slabs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nikoue
3105 Views, 4 Replies

Structure visibility of multilayer elements such as walls and slabs

Why i cannot see the structure of a multilayer revit element like wall if i am not section it? The first and the second image is the same wall. In the second i used the section box. I don't understand why the structure isn't visible in the first image? Can i solve this?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

1.  In Revit , In profile uncut , walls do not show layers but the Default Wall Material . If you want to change the material texture or(and color ) of it in Visual Styles and Rendering : Manage > Object Styles > Model Objects > Walls > Material - click on Default Wall - make changes in Graphic and Appearance...now the changing will appear in up and side uncut parts of the wall.
  2. If you want to see layers in uncut profiles of the wall use Parts: select Wall > Create > Create Parts . Parts does not replace Walls and they can be hide or activated in diferent views
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 5
nikoue
in reply to: nikoue

Thank you for your answer.
I dont know much about parts but i have seen that if a wall has a join, the parts created from the same wall aren't joined too.
I think that its not correct to be invisible the structure of walls or slabs. You must always use section box to see the structure and made corrects joins.
And i have also see than when you join elements the material take off isnt correct. I believe that these are huge disadvantages of revit. We create bim models to have full control of a project, to make an as build project. If the point is only render we can use better products as 3ds max.

Message 4 of 5

Hi,

1. Using  Parts , the component layers are not conected automaticaly , but this can be controled using Merge Parts. For this, select two layers from walls that are joinig (using CTRL)  and then : Modify / Parts > Part > Merge Parts  - the Parts will join . The condition for joining is to : have the same material, the same creation and demolition phases.The merged geometry consists of a single connected component.
  2. As about the visibility of layers, I do not agree with you :  The structure of walls and slabs , as in Real Life is visible only in sections.   More than sure that if you look at a wall from above  in real life , you will not see the layers but a finish that covers it. Floor Plans are all Horizontal Sections ,Sections (Building Sections) are all Vertical Sections , so you can control from these two types of sections  how the wall join and how the layers behave.  Section Box is an instrument only for 3d sections 
  3. I wouldn't care to much about Joining walls vs materials takeoff as long as we can control the joining type using Wall Join ( Butt - Mitter options) . Where I care indead is that( as I know for the moment) the structural column and beams inserted in these wall are not substract automaticaly from them....This is a problem for me.
  4.  As to compare Revit with Max seems to me to be unfair . Yes , Max is much better in maping materials ,lights rendering and of course in modeling organic 3 d volumes , even it doesn't work with inteligent entities but with solids and meshes (try to make technical  layouts  in Max) . Believe me, I worked before in a chain of programs : Autocad 3d , later in Autocad Architecture combined with Max for 3d finishing and now I work mainly in Revit , which does , in one program all that I have done before in AutoCAD, ACA, and Max. I find it awesome. Don't forget that from Revit you can render in the cloud ...that could not be done from Max....and time is so expensive.....
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 5

First of all thank you for your time.

1. I will have a better tool for create part features because right now I’m not very familiar with that.

2. In real life it's invisible if you place a finish material on it. If not toy will see the structure layer. Look at my example. In the first picture witch is an elevation view my wall does not extend to the end. The view isn't correct. In real life i will be able to see the structure of the slab. As you see it in the section view. Also before i place the wall i want to align the slab in the level one not to the finish material but to the core of the slab. [ I will say to that point that the slab must also has a location line like walls]. The layer structure isn’t visible if it has another material on it. If it’s not it must be visible. Another example: If i build a wall and not place something on its top like concrete or a marble i must see the structure of the wall. When i place the marble   the structure will became invisible as in real life.

3. When i speak about joining i had in my mind joins with columns, beams floors etc. It’s a huge problem and i don’t know the percentage of the error. I also use AutoCAD, architecture desktop, 3dsmax. The main reason go with Revit is the material take off. I can visualize correctly a building with Revit (also i need to say that it’s difficult to place finish materials on the beams and the columns in the interior side) but i cannot take a quick material take off. To do that i forced to split the walls in columns ant attached their top in the bottom of the beams, to make a separate wall with only finish material and apply it outside   and inside in the wall and in the beam separately. I also place the finish materials in the slabs as separate slabs with does not trim the walls and the finish material of the bottom of the slabs as a celling witch also does not trim the walls. I also place finish materials in the bottom of the beams in the place that there is no wall in the bottom or where that wall is thinner than the beam. All this coordination is very difficult and slow. I can made the same operations very quickly using the join command but then, as i said, the material take off isn’t correct.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report