Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Framing with Walls

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chrisbull92
1351 Views, 3 Replies

Structural Framing with Walls

Hi. I'm just wondering, if I were designing a building in revit and wanted to do both the structure and architecture, is this possible or should they be done separately.

So for a steel framed building where the walls are not part of the load bearing structure I would put the walls and ceilings in such that they rest on the steel structure...
But if I were to do a timber frame for an ordinary house the timber inside the walls takes some load. So if I did the timber frame would I then have to create 2 walls to go on either side of the timber frame? And then how would I then show insulation in the gaps and stuff for energy analysis. Also how would door and windows work... Sorry if this makes no sense

Thanks
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
subhra_civil
in reply to: chrisbull92

Hi,

First of all I want to tell you about the Revit Discipline. You should create Architectural model in Revit Architectural and Structure in Revit Structure. It will be very easy for you to handle different category.

Secondly about your problems which you have stated i think it will be resolved if you practice like this way. Try to grab it!!!!! give me feedback.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 3 of 4
chrisbull92
in reply to: subhra_civil

Thanks for your reply, The revit i have has all three disciplines in one and if for instance the structure of the building is part of the architecture why would you have two seperate models? Also, sometimes I would want to see certain things in my arch model also in my structural model - seems like there would be a lot of copying stuff?

I'll attach a picture of the timber frame example, if i wanted the frame in the same model as the walls, how would i put in the walls? Would i need two walls so one on the external of the timber and one on the internal side?, and then how would doors and windows work.

So say i've made this frame in revit, how would i got about integrating the walls and windows and doors etc.?

Thanks Again

Chris

Message 4 of 4
subhra_civil
in reply to: chrisbull92

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I want to know from you about the wall. What kind of wall you want to use???? Is it gypsum board type or others????? You can use two walls with middle insulation as far as my knowledge.

Use wall and give material type wood with wall thickness. Then you can use doors and windows on the wall. It will be very easy for you. With out wall you cant able to insert any door and window.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report