Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Framing Plans

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
479 Views, 6 Replies

Structural Framing Plans

I know this has been talked about in the past... but what is everyone currently doing for structural framing plans in revit 6.0. Have they added any thing that makes this easier or better. I know they were talking about adding to the structural capabilities. I work as a structural engineer and would love to use this program for the kind of projects that we do here (high end custom homes). I need a program smarter and more useful than a box of hair (read not autocad).
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am waiting to hear about this subject as well. wrote in message news:3fe77a9b$1_5@statler... > I know this has been talked about in the past... but what is everyone > currently doing for structural framing plans in revit 6.0. Have they > added any thing that makes this easier or better. I know they were > talking about adding to the structural capabilities. I work as a > structural engineer and would love to use this program for the kind of > projects that we do here (high end custom homes). I need a program > smarter and more useful than a box of hair (read not autocad). >
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

In short, the structural funtionality that has been rumored was not to be released in 6.0, but I expect to see it in the not too distant future. As for what that looks like, I can't say, but I think I can tell you confidently that the direction Revit is trying to go with their structural tools is to help with the most repetitive tasks that structural engineers do, through all phases of the design and engineering process. I think it would be safe to say that autodesk and Revit are looking at Revit as their PLM (product/project lifecycle management) platform for the AEC market. In other words, there may not be much there right now, but if everrything goes according to plans/hopes/dreams, you will like what you see in the next 6 to 18 months or so. Stick in there. In the meantime, for light wood framed stuff, I usually use lines to represent framing members...it is the quickest way, and it usually gets across what I am trying to convey...and changes are usually much easier. Trying to get revit to accurately represent rim joists, blocking and such is a pain, and usually not quite right...requires a lot of going back to make sure things haven't shifted. For post and beam and steel I usually model the structural elements. Don't do much concrete work around here. "L. Zaras" wrote in message news:3ff2d7ab_2@statler... > I am waiting to hear about this subject as well. > wrote in message news:3fe77a9b$1_5@statler... > > I know this has been talked about in the past... but what is everyone > > currently doing for structural framing plans in revit 6.0. Have they > > added any thing that makes this easier or better. I know they were > > talking about adding to the structural capabilities. I work as a > > structural engineer and would love to use this program for the kind of > > projects that we do here (high end custom homes). I need a program > > smarter and more useful than a box of hair (read not autocad). > > > >
Message 4 of 7
markpnet

If you look under the partners products in Autodesk you will find a company called COINS - they use ADT 2004 to do wood framing - it can also be adapted to do steel and metalwork framing.
If you want to spend a fortune there is another company called HSB CAD who do similar stuff.

Both the above are object oriented programs.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I am the product manager for the structural part of Revit.
You can contact me at nicolas.mangon@autodesk.com so I can answer your questions
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I am the product manager for the structural part of Revit.
You can contact me at nicolas.mangon@autodesk.com so I can answer your questions
Message 7 of 7
cstc403

I am a designer and I have created several structural members in ADT and Revit. I am attaching a file created in ADT 3.3 and exploded and imported into Revit. I am interested in recreating the structural members and curtain wall styles I developed with ADT in Revit. What would be the best approach. should I just start from scratch or can I import the shapes, properties, and styles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report