Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Framing not Cutting in Plan

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
cemberger
15833 Views, 11 Replies

Structural Framing not Cutting in Plan

I know I've solved this problem before but I cannot figure it out now.

We are using structural steel framing familiies which are sloping in section.  Where the view range cuts, the framing does not and the entire member is visible including above the cut plane.

The members are set to cut in plan in "Visiilbity Settings."  The view is set to "Fine."

Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cemberger

Could it be Depth Clipping that you're looking for? It's under the View's Properties.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
cemberger
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I forgot to mention that I have been testing different settings in View Range and Depth Clipping.

No luck yet...

Message 4 of 12
Joe.Charpentier

Select the beam.

Chose "Edit Family" from the contextual tab.

In the Properties Palette, uncheck "Show family pre-cut in plan views".

Load the modified family into your project.  

Medium and Fine Levels of Detail will now be cut (for steel beams anyway)

Coarse (stick)  symbols will not be affected.

Note that this can cause a performance hit, as now Revit has to figure out where beams should be cut in the view (even if they are not, Revit still has to figure that out.) 

Regards,

Joe 

Message 5 of 12
cemberger

Thanks for the guidance.

Unfortunately, the beam family in this case already has the "Show family pre-cut in plan views" option checked on.

Still, the sloping beams do not show up cut in the plan view.  If we hide the beams in question, the columns below that are attached to these beams do show up cut or beyond the cut (i.e. the cutting plane is where we think it is.)  All other elements are cut at the cut plane as expected.

Any other thoughts?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

it should be UNCHECKED. when you open the family, it's checked, so UNcheck it and it works now. with my project at least...

Message 7 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, for a sloped beam, that setting should be not checked, if you need to show the beam cut by the current cut plane of the plan view. Having that setting checked just shows a generic section of the beam, but at the top of it, not at the intersection of the sloped beam with the cut plane.

Another solution is to create the beam with the slanted column tool, from an elevation view.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 12
kelsimad
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Thank you Joe.C! This worked perfectly!
Message 9 of 12
jagostinhoCT
in reply to: kelsimad

Hello,

I am having the same problem but unckecking the family setting does not seem to work.

what else might be involved?

thanks

J

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Message 10 of 12

Hello,

Cut off will work only in fine & medium views. It will not work with coarse view. Either change the entire view to fine or change the structural framing category to 'fine' in Visibility Graphics.

Message 11 of 12

Thanks Joe

Message 12 of 12

awesome. Thank you very much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report