Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair width problem

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
architex
10676 Views, 14 Replies

Stair width problem

Struggling with Stair widths.

First, I needed a 4' wide stair, so I duplicated a Stair Type and changed it's Min. Width to 4'. That worked well.

But then, all other stairs that I'm creating start as 4', no matter what Type.

Second, I needed a 5' stair, I drew a 4' one and then edited it's size (without editing tehType).

Now, all my stairs are starting as 5'.

I've changed all my Stair Types width to 3'-0".

Still no luck, any stair that I'm creating (I tried all !) starts as 5' wide.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: architex

Yes, there seem to be some inconsistencies there with the "Minimum run width" type parameter and the "Actual run width" instance parameter. The combined usage of these two parameters is not clear for me. I hope someone else can explain what is going on. I had not noticed this because I use stairs by sketch, but in Revit LT the stairs by component is the only option.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 15
architex
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks again Alfredo,

I've done some experimenting with all 3 Templates provided with Revit LT: default, residential and commercial.

I start a new project and draw a stair. The stairs drew 3'-0", but if I select them for editing and trying to input new dimension, I get an error message: 'Can't change dimension segment to this value.'  does not matter if the value is smaller or larger.  In addition, when selecting a stair, the Properties window, 'Dimensions' area does not have 'Width' parameter.

Lastly, I've opened a Sample Residential Project that comes with the software.( I'm almost certain it was drawn in Full Revit) When an existing stair is selected, the Properties window shows Width as available parameter that I can change, but if I draw a new stair of the same type, the Width parameter is missing!?!

It seems that Revit LT has a different 'System file'...

I've got a partuial solution from Mark B, from down under,

-----

Yes you will get the error message trying to change the Tempory Dimension for width.
Try this.
Hover your cursor over you stairs (especially the treads) now hit the Tab button untill just the treads are hilighted then select them. Now in you properties box you will be able to change the "ctual run width" parameter (Width).
The "Minimum Width" parameter is there just to confuse the hell out of you, all that does is gives you a warning message if you try and make a set of stairs narrower than that set in this parameter, you can accept the warning for the narrower width and revit will still let you make the narrower stair.

----

That works, but does not solve the problem of all new stairs starting as 5' wide.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy, so everything is time, trial and error...

Message 4 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, if you select a stair in Revit LT, and you see a "width" parameter in the instanec properties window, that stair was created with the method of "stairs by sketch", which is in full Revit and not present in LT. That is why when you create a new stair in LT, you won't see a "width" parameter in the instance property, but only this "minimun run width" in the type properties.

My advice is, don't change that "minimun run width" in the type properties. Leave it as it is, and do all the changes by selecting the runs and entering a new value in "actual run width" in the instance properties. It is not ideal, but I don't see other choice.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 15
architex

Revit Lt has a 'by sketch' option.

I just created a stair by defining boundaries and risers.

That stair does not follow 'Mark B' rules.

When simply selected for editing, there is no Width option.

But, if I 'Tab' and select treads, the 'Width' option is there, but the whole 'Dimensions' section is 'grayed' out and not available for editing.

I 've put a request for troubleshooting with Autodesk Subscription, I will let you know the results.

Thank  you for your help.

Alex

Message 6 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

@architex wrote:

Revit Lt has a 'by sketch' option.

Then, is this matrix of comparison wrong? I am basing my response on this chart, since my LT trial expired. 😞

2-24-2013 12-37-02 AM.jpg

Message 7 of 15
architex

here is the snippet of available menue

Message 8 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

Yup, that looks like the set of tools of stair by sketch. Then the chart is wrong. !?

Well, if you have stairs by sketch, you could use that instead. It works in a simpler way, in my opinion.

Message 9 of 15

Hi. I have the same problem (in Revit 2023, not LT), but I don’t see an option for “Actual Run Width” under dimensions. So how do I change the actual run width?

image.jpg

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: kyrabrianne.mccabe

Actual Run Width is a property of Runs, not Stairs.  Edit the stair and select a Run then you can see it, except if you draw it by sketch.

Message 11 of 15
kyrabrianne.mccabe
in reply to: ToanDN

Is there a way to view this property when I am drawing by sketch?

Message 12 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: kyrabrianne.mccabe

@kyrabrianne.mccabe wrote:

Is there a way to view this property when I am drawing by sketch?

Use measure or dimension tool.  If your run is not some weird shape then you need not use sketch mode to begin with.

Message 13 of 15
Mark_Engwirda

I find it weird how the sketch plan only reflects the run width and not the overall stair width, it doesn't make any sense.
My opinion is that the width of the "stair run" should include the tread and the stringers, this would make it so much easier when creating a stair sketch.

Message 14 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: Mark_Engwirda

It's not weird.  When a building code or a stair manufacturer mentions stair width, they don't include stringers.

Message 15 of 15
Mark_Engwirda

@ToanDN thanks for replying.
Honestly I can't find a definitive answer to this, looking up the building codes and the standards, they don't provide the answer.  There are hints such as, width of stairs, widths of stairways, width of egress all in the same documents, but there is not a diagram or explanation of what makes up a width of a stair. 
So I can't agree or disagree, but would still love to see sketch designs include the width of external stringers to make it easier from a user's point of view  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report