Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair Problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
792 Views, 6 Replies

Stair Problem

Hi all.

I'm pretty new to the world of Revit, having just made the dreaded switch from AutoCAD. For the most part I'm finding it pretty easy going which is a blessing.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a stair like the one shown in the image I have attached. Basically, the stair starts out as normal, and splits in 2 directions after the 12th riser. Can anyone tell me how this can be done while avoiding tearing my hair out at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Neal.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Neal,

Since Revit does not allow more than two chains of segments for the stair boundaries,you have to do this in two pieces. Once you are finished, you can convert the two pieces into one by creating a group. The two pieces are these: one that is an 'L' shape, going from the bottom to the top, let's say from Level 1 to Level 2, with the fancy first two steps and all that. The second part is just a flight that goes from the landing of the 'L' shape to Level 2. To do that second part, you need to go into the stairs properties dialog box and specify a certain base offset value (the landing height) and also specify Level 2 as the top offset. Then, for the L part, you need to edit the railing on the side that receives the small flight, so that people can go up and down from either side.

Alfredo Medina
Planta1.com
Online training of
AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Now why couldn't I think of that? Thanks a bunch.

Now, I have another question. Is there an easy way to get the railings to join up at the corners?

(Sorry for being an annoying n00b).
Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

It depends if the railing is one continuous chain or not. If it is continuous, clic on the railing > Edit profile. That activates another option called Edit rail joins. Clic on that. Then hover the mouse over the join that you want to edit. When you see a square around the join, clic again. Look at the options bar below the ribbon. There will be some options for type of connections or joins between segments of the same railing.
If the railings you want to fix are different chains, then you need to see if you could have them combined in one single chain, or otherwise try different settings for height values in the railings properties dialog box.

Alfredo Medina
www.planta1.com
Online training of

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

They're all separate railings. I have attached a jpeg of the staircase (I moved it out of the building for clarity). Is it possible to make them into one chain? If I do this, how do I set the host? If I set the host on one flight, the other will be off.

I'm also having trouble attaching the bottom balusters to the floor.

Again, apologies for being stupid.
Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

it's looking good. There are two chains that you can create. One is the chain of railings on the right side of your stairs (in your image). The other chain is made by the the railing over the landing and the one on the left side of the flight that goes up to the right. The other two segments of the additional flight on the left have to be independent segments since they belong to a separate body.
About attaching the first curvy balusters to the floor, if that spiral segment is separated from the first railing that goes up, then select all that spiral and clic Edit Path > Set railing host > Select the floor (slab). That will force those balusters to attach to the floor.

Alfredo Medina
www.planta1.com
Online training of

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Nah, I still couldn't get it to work. So I just adjusted the handrail heights where needed, and it looks pretty ok now. Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report