Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair handrail extensions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3767 Views, 5 Replies

Stair handrail extensions

I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension that doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends 23" out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair sketch command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create this. Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up flights of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this but there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs??
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Derek, Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word wrap) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ Balusters/index.html as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing sketch. Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. Z. "derek.p" wrote in message news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension that > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends 23" > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair sketch > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create > this. > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up flights > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this but > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > >
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Nice! That helps! But I still think the stairs sketch command needs some work. My students will appreciate this... I'll have to put a list together with all my beefs about Revit for you all to tackle!! "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message news:4030e131$1_3@newsprd01... > Derek, > > Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word wrap) > > http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ > Balusters/index.html > > as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing sketch. > Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. > > Z. > > > > "derek.p" wrote in message > news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension > that > > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends > 23" > > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA > > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair > sketch > > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create > > this. > > > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up > flights > > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this > but > > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is > > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > > > > > >
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

If you get a stair working the way you like, it may take a while, but then you just transfer that stair family into your template and forget about it. It is very easy the next time around. "derek.p" wrote in message news:40346a0e$1_2@newsprd01... > Nice! That helps! But I still think the stairs sketch command needs some > work. My students will appreciate this... I'll have to put a list together > with all my beefs about Revit for you all to tackle!! > > "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message > news:4030e131$1_3@newsprd01... > > Derek, > > > > Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word > wrap) > > > > > http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ > > Balusters/index.html > > > > as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing > sketch. > > Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. > > > > Z. > > > > > > > > "derek.p" wrote in message > > news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > > > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension > > that > > > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends > > 23" > > > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > > > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > > > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. > ADA > > > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > > > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair > > sketch > > > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to > create > > > this. > > > > > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up > > flights > > > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > > > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this > > but > > > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone > is > > > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > > > > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 6
hienng8100

Yr link is not working
Message 6 of 6
erfagan

To anyone:  I have both 2013 and Revit Architecture (2013).  I am trying to make ADA handrail extensions on  my stairs.  Autodesk has a video on Wiki that shows how to do it, BUT I don not have the 'termination' pull down on my 'type properties' box.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thank you- Eugene

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report