Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot Elevation Label Parameter Text Option

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
trevorc
37211 Views, 21 Replies

Spot Elevation Label Parameter Text Option

I'm trying to add a label to our spot elevation so that the tag will read the elevation of the floor and then a user can type into the bottom line what the elevation is indicating, such as 'TOSS' or 'FFE' or 'Sidewalk', etc. See 'Ideal Elevation.PNG'.

I've encountered a startling number of issues:

-The system family containing the spot elevation will not seem to let you put any manually entered text into the lower value without also including some kind of indicator. Given I only want a single number on the top line and the manual text on the bottom, this doesn't seem like it will work.

-So I tried to customize the family. Within the Spot Elevation family, the option to add a label is grayed out, so I nested an generic annotation containing a label and tied a text parameter in the spot elevation to the value of the label. However because the object you tag is actually a system family that includes the spot elevation, there is no way to actually get to the parameter made in the Spot Elevation if it's an instance item.

-Biting the bullet that I will need a new type of System Spot Elevation containing an unique type of Spot Elevation (and getting really frusterated..), I converted my text parameter to a type based and tested it out with the value 'Test'. But when then I realized that Spot Elevation spins depending on the direction of the leader. Also noted in this post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/problem-with-spot-elevation-system-family/td-p/2845... Any solutions to this? See 'Problem Elevation.PNG'.

Is there anyway to get Revit to deal with these beside just floating text around the spot elevation? This seems pretty basic drafting stuff.

Thanks,

Trevor

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
reganmartin
in reply to: trevorc

I have the same need for this annotation and hit the same wall. I also started down this same path to solve this problem, using the same methodology. I landed on a modified Spot Elevation Symbol family with many many types, one for each phrase needed to decribe the elevation.

After much searching on this forum and others reaching back years of posts. I am stuck with the conclusion that the Spot Elevation just isnt up to the task we are asking.  

How have others solved this issue of noting what element a Spot Elevation is measuring (T.O. BEAM, etc.)?  Is is a custom genreic annotation? a string dimension from a level?  Abusing the suffix text for a really long dimension?

Thanks for any help.

Message 3 of 22
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

You need to create spot elevation from a new family and select the template for spot elevation

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/a0500613-6a7c-4f86-9e60-133e1a57004d

And then you need to do the following to use a text

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/5c3a92ba-31d5-4eca-bdf4-d7e9e8399d94

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 4 of 22

Thanks, Alaaeldin. I was able to get this far using Generic Annotations. The trouble i found was we needed about 25 different text strings to describe our project, which resulted in over 100 symbol types and another 100 dimension types to account for Left/Right and Up/Down variable conditions as you show in your screencast. Very labor intensive to create and very labor intensive for users to implement in dozens of elevation views with several tags per view, before even considering the difficulty in updating or adding tag types as seen in your video.

The real issue is not being able to add labels to the Spot Elevation symbol, or edit text fields below as with dimensions. Or conversely extracting live elevation data into a Generic Annotation family imitating a spot elevation.

My recommendation to the team was to use stacked-up aligned dimensions instead of spot elevations. Views are much more cluttered, but much less labor. (until dimensions start deleting...)
Message 5 of 22

I know your frustration; so far I think it is the best alternative solution i could find.

At this point I suggest you to send an enhancement feature directly to the Autodesk development team, by linking this post.

Here is a the link to create a wishlist case

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 22
pthieu09

Hello, I just want to ask you guys if the Spot Elevation in Revit 2017 has satisfied your needs with the additions of Top and Bottom Elevation Prefix/Suffix that allow us to type in some text like the one from the picture below. However this modification is not available if we are to use the "Actual (Selected) Elevation".

Please let me know if this issue has been done with or if you have other request regarding this matter. 

SpotElevation.PNG

Message 7 of 22
dboghean
in reply to: pthieu09

I would like to be able to add a note such as "T.O. Landing" below the actual elevation, so unfortunately, that doesn't solve our problem. 

Message 8 of 22
adam.martin
in reply to: dboghean

Guess it's not solved yet.  Having the same issue currently.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Still an unsolved issue that seems like low hanging fruit for Autodesk developers to solve. The work-arounds are impractical at best, and as such the spot elevation family is of very limited value.   

Message 10 of 22
paul.obrien
in reply to: pthieu09

No, sadly, it's not solved.  As others have stated, we just want a text field we can edit (for each tag instance) to describe exactly what the spot elevation is pointing to, especially if other nearby geometry could confuse the issue.  Using the "Lower value" doesn't work when all I'm trying to indicate is where the top of a counter sits in a plan view, for instance.

Message 11 of 22
bgraham-JRA

I found the following to work for me - however, this work has to be done within your standard project template:

(open your project template)

1) open the "Spot Elevation - Target Filled.rfa" family

2) click the "view" tab, then visibility/graphics, and make sure the check box for "show annotation categories in this view" is checked.

3) create a text note on the right upper quadrant of the reference lines (left aligned text) and name it (ex. T.O.M.)

4) save as a new family and name it by adding a suffix (ex. Spot Elevation - Target Filled TOM-Upper)

5) now move the same text into the lower right quadrant of the reference lines.

6) save as a new family and change the suffix "Upper" to "Lower"

7) Repeat this for each type of label you will typically need.

(NOTE) - The reason for the Upper/Lower is that the relation of the placement of the symbol to the horizontal axis of the elevation target causes the text to mirror when above or below the horizontal axis of the target elevation. A minor inconvenience but it just requires a slight forethought of placement when selecting the type of spot elevation.

😎 Load all the new created families into the project template.

9) In the project template, click the spot elevation tool. In properties, select the type you typically use (Relative/Project) and then click "Edit Type".

10) Duplicate it and rename it accordingly. (ex. I make one type named T.O.M. upper and another named T.O.M. lower)

11) While still in the Type Properties, under Graphics, change the referencing symbol to the associated type. (ex. T.O.M. upper will use the "Spot Elevation - Target Filled TOM-Upper" family I created earlier.)

12) Repeat this for all upper and lower types you made.

It shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

You now have pre-labeled spot elevation types to use in your future projects.

If anyone knows how to fix the need for the upper/lower types, please comment.

Message 12 of 22
davikasmith
in reply to: bgraham-JRA

After years of struggling with this issue, and telling my users to place our custom spot elevations to the upper left or right (which isn't always possible), I have had an epiphany that has solved the issue for us (workaround)...

Like several people here, I have text descriptions in our spot elevation family, with types for users to choose from. I just discovered this very simple solution. In your Spot Elevation family, set your text to Opaque, then uncheck KEEP READABLE. Mirror copy all of your text so it shows under the symbol/ reference line, upside down. SpotElevation.PNG

Both upper and lower text will show, but by using opaque text, your elevation will cover the unwanted text field when placed.

SpotElevation2.PNG

You will have to play around with the type properties in your template (Text Offset From Leader and Text Offset From Symbol) as well as text placement in your family, in order to get your elevation "text" to cover up your description text properly. For me, I had my text coming in where I wanted it, so I changed the type properties to match that.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 22
conor.mcenery
in reply to: davikasmith

For me I found actual "Spot Coordinate" is a must better tool for show Elevation with out having to edit the type. Setting and Display Below.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 22

^^^^ This is a neat solution and should be an accepted solution on this thread.  It's a clever bit of lateral thinking.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 15 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

But the question is how to place the text above the value, not as a prefix or a suffix.
Message 16 of 22
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, that is a fair point, it would be good if this can be done.  However, where spot coordinates wins over spot elevation is that it can report the elevation of a detail item which then allows you to do this;2020-01-23_15-48-34.png

It consists of a line based detail family with embedded generic annotations to report a name parameter. This is then tagged with a spot coordinate as suggested in the post above.  As a solution for architects who wish to indicate head and cill levels in elevation (without creating unnecessary levels) I'm pretty happy with this.

2020-01-24_08-15-15.png

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 17 of 22

I just love how the Spot Elevation tease user in the property menu with the instance "Lower Value" but is greyed out.  Wow! If only adding a descriptive to the elevation was that easy!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 18 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: p.phamCWWHN

That Lower Value is for when you place a Spot Elevation on an element such a floor and you want to show both the Top and Bottom elevations of that floor.
Message 19 of 22
p.phamCWWHN
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you for explanation.  I think most users prefer the lower half was reserved for a description rather than bottom elevation.  Personally, I've rarely seen both top and bottom elevations shown in a construction drawing.  Either one or the other is indicated and then the thickness is pulled from the structural documents so having both pts. shown is a rare occurrence in my humble experience. 

Message 20 of 22
chrisNT4NW

Actually, I figured it out! I came on here looking for a solution, found none, then as we all do, kept trying to mess with the properties. The "Display Elevations" row in the "text" category, of the instance parameters, can be switched to display "top & bottom elevations". This works in plan view only and places both elevations above the line. it is a practical solution. In section, you will still have to hit each elevation with an individual spot, though I think this is Revit imposing a failsafe upon us, so as to not confuse the builder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report