Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special mansard roof

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
maximbodearcas
3101 Views, 4 Replies

Special mansard roof

I saw there were a few questions about mansard roofs but I have a special design that I cannot generate with Revit.

Can anyone help me with my roof? I added a few pictures to show my problem.

The upper roof from the mansard has an overhang and the roof under it ends in a point so if there is a lot of wind my upper roof will fly away (we live in a windy region :D).

I Would like to have the roof under it to end flat so the upper roof can rest on the one that is below it.

Now both roofs are drawn by footprint.

Thanks to the one who can help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rosskirby
in reply to: maximbodearcas

Try creating a level or a reference plan at the height where you want the lower portion of the mansard cut off level, and attach the top of the roof to that level/reference plane.  I believe you can also indicate in the properties of the roof for it to stop at a certain level, if the attach method doesn't work for you.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 5
loboarch

Using the "cutoff level" property will cut the roof but the edges of the cut will still be vertical.

One way you can get the lower roof to finish with a horizontal cut edge would be to use a generic in place model void to "cut off" the roof at a specific point.  Using the void as the cutting object will leave the horizontal cut edge you want.

mansard.png

mansard_detail.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 5
maximbodearcas
in reply to: loboarch

I already tried to make the roof with a generic in place model but I made 2 layers one for the finish and one for the structure. When I tried to put a dormer or roofwindow in the outer layer, the inner layer was not cut out.

Then I joined the 2 layers with each other but then the line in between vanished so that was not an option. (or I had to draw it in 2D in all my sections).

In the attachment you will find that roof with 2 sweep roofs and a dormer family that only cuts the outer sweep (the roof finish).

Message 5 of 5
loboarch

maximbodearcas wrote:

I already tried to make the roof with a generic in place model but I made 2 layers one for the finish and one for the structure. When I tried to put a dormer or roofwindow in the outer layer, the inner layer was not cut out.

The example I show is not made with an in place model.  The roofs shown are roof objects drawn with the roof tool.  I used a generic in-place model VOID, to cut off the lower roof at a specific height.  The in-place model is nothing more than a VOID box drawn in a position which will cut the top of the lower roof off when the "cut geometry" tool is used between the VIOD and  the roof object.  This cuts the lower roof off and leaves a flat edge like you wanted.  

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report