Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spandrel panel opacity

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
14475 Views, 10 Replies

Spandrel panel opacity

Hi,  I've recently run into a graphic issue with showing two piece spandrel panels in a curtain wall.  To create the spandrel panel i created a wall type with 1 finish being glass, then an air gap, then a layer of metal panel.  When I view the panel in 3D from behind, the metal panel shows up opaque as it should, but head on and the metal panel is transparent.  I've noticed this is just a visibility convention in revit.  Basically when you have a wall type with a void, and your looking at it in 3D (with a section box or some other way of cutting), it shows the opposite side portion of the wall as transparent (if this doesnt make any sense, give it a shot).

Anyway, anyone know a better way of doing this?

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

To create a spandrel panel, simply select the panel(s) from the curtain wall, and change its (there) type to "solid". It will be opaque from both faces. There is no need to create a different wall type with layers of materials, as you said.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for your response.  The problem is I dont actually want the panel to just be solid.  I want a layer of glass, then an empty space, and then a panel behind that, creating a shadow box; that is the design intent for this project.  Attached is an image showing the configuration, as well as the problem I'm experiencing.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 11
rosskirby

Change the transparency of the glass in the spandrel panel to 0 (via the material editor).  Unless you're planning to use some kind of backlit/internally illuminated spandrel panel, they're just going to paint the back sid of the glass black anyway.  That should resolve your issue.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Sorry, but that is not what I am trying to do.  It is to be a clear piece of glass with a panel of drywall or metal set back from it, to create a "shadow box."  If you look at the image I think you'll see what I mean.

Message 6 of 11
rosskirby

Then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Now I understand what you need.

It is possible. You need to create a new family, starting with the Curtain Panel template, and create 2 extrusions. For one of them, select glass. For the other one, assign another opaque material. Then, Load the curtain panel into a project, select a panel in a curtain wall, and assign this family to the selected panel.

See illustration for an example.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 11
rosskirby

I stand corrected, Alfredo.  I assumed that the graphic "error" caused by a Revit would also be in effect for a special panel.  I'm guessing the OP was just using a wall type, which would result in the graphic "error".

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 9 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

No problem, Ross. I understood this the same way as you at the beginning, that the OP was using a wall type.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Let there be spandrel panels! It worked, thanks a lot!

Message 11 of 11
DigitalMemory

Yeah the solution posed works of the double extrusion but you must leave a gap because when you render in some instances it looks like when someone puts their face against the glass.

Do the double extrusion but leave at least a 10mm gap.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report