Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping beam to grid in sloped roof

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
klel
3952 Views, 10 Replies

Snapping beam to grid in sloped roof

Hi

I am trying to model roof framing in a sloped roof. As reference plane for this I have used a sloped roof which I copied from the architectural revit file. But after I set the the sloped roof to be the reference plane have problems getting beams to snap to the gridlines. Somehow I got to where I am now with most of the beams following the plane an on grid - but I still dont understand how or why except that I had to try again and again in many ways before it somehow worked. I have also had many problems when I tried to drag beams to grids and then had the beam snap out of the reference plane.

Please refer to the file at the enclosed link.

http://www.filemail.com/t/483f5dae04ee44efbf29b8c3b595401a

Now I specifically need to draw a bracing CHS114 along grid 4 from grid E to grid JC. It should be located so that its topside is 50mm under the corrugated plate.

Ideally I should just set the plane to the inclined floor element and then draw the beam. But if I do so the bracing does not get drawn straigth but at a small angle to the grid. Further more it does not place itself in correct vertical position

If I try the same using the on grid tool it simple throws the beam in a wrong place vertically and horizontally

If I try to extend the existing IPE550 beam in grid 4 which currently runs from grid B to E then this beam gets rotated sligthly of the grid at the very moment i try to extend the handles. But in this case the vertical lever remains correct.-

Similar things happen if I try to copy it to the new position and changing properties to a pipe or by offsetting it, copying it and then extending. The beam inevitably gets dragged out of the grid to some other local coordinate system - I suspect the rotated of the sloped roof which is the hosting element.

How to I solve this problem and get the CHS114 drawin on grid 4 following the sloped roof 50 mm below.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: klel

I am not sure if I understood the part where the beam rotates. Did you try to use Column instead with the right elevation and the use the 3d snap, with your CHS 114?

Is it possible to download ScreenCast

https://screencast.autodesk.com/

and make a video to show use the issue.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 11
klel
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Hi

I made a video with screencast.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/fe41b2a4-37c6-416a-9040-7f23e8e0fe14

What I want to do is quite basic. I would like to be able to:

1. Set one of the inclined roof plates as the workplane which is a corrugated plate with insulation on top

2. Draw beams that follow this plane properly along the underside of the plane or in some cases with topflange of members 50mm offset below the corrugated plate

3. Aligning the axis of the beams to my grid lines and when drawing beams I would like the beams/trusses to snap to grid intersection.

As of now i am usually not able to snap to gridpoints when drawing in the inclined plane. I am usually not able to allign members in the sloped plane to the grids. When I succeed to draw in the sloped plane members will not follow each other consistently with regards to vertical offsett from the plane. And often if I manage to snap to some grid then it will snap the member out of the plane. Actually I had a beam at this location which was in correct position. But then I dragged it to better reach another beam to where it fixes to - but then it jumped out of the plane

Kindly

KLEL

Message 4 of 11
cbcarch

Try using a Beam System

Create a slope Reference Plane in section or elevation.

In a Framing Plan View, set that Ref. Plane current.

Create Structural Beam System.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-487AE7B8-EBE4-4345-B2C8-016F69AC43A2

Hint: sometimes I have needed to create the beam stsyem "flat", the Align it to the sloped Reference Plane.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 11
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Sloped beam get tricky sometime since the Workplane of both faces are inclined, Give it a try with Beam system as mentioned in the previous reply if not,

here is my worflow 

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/99e086e3-c2ca-4a75-94c3-387247a6f8de

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 11
klel
in reply to: cbcarch

Hi

Your proposal of using a beamsystem is probably very good and I am very interested in using it - except that I don't know how to create a reference plane which matches the sloped surface of the roof.

The way I have learned how to set up a reference plane is to draw a reference plane line from inside a sectionview. But the problem is that the roof also slopes out of plane of all my sections - so which ever reference plane is drawn from my current sections can never match the slope of the roof.

I understand that from a mathematical point of view it should be possible to draw a section which is tilted such that you would see the entire roof as coming on one line in the section - but I dont know how to define such a section. Do you know a way to do this?

Kindly Klæmint

Message 7 of 11
klel

Alaeldin Alshahli

I followed your worksequence - but I am am still not able to allign the truss to the centreline of the top of the wall. My revit simply wont pick the centreline of the truss. Do you have any advice? I have made a recording which shows how it goes up to this point.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/e8e3fd87-28bd-493d-8da9-7b6e7d0befdf

Kindly Klæmint

Message 8 of 11
klel
in reply to: cbcarch

Cliff B.Collins,

Okay I have managed to make a reference plane based on my section DD and it apparently follows the bottom of the roof plane. Then I made an extra level and planeview only for drawing the beam system in horizontal as you adviced. As I see it I must make separate beams systems for each set of paralell beams.

But how do I control the location of each beam and the distance between the beams. They just seem to come at equal spacing while I want them on the grids. 

How do I introduce the beams which go perpendicular to these beams along the edges.

And how do I get the bracing into the beam system?

I like very much the idea to use beams systems - but on the other hand this is a quite complex structure where section sizes, orientation and location vary alot

Kindly Klæmint

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 11
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

I will show you a better workflow then. Here is a video

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/6fe27ad6-b5c0-4fdf-85fe-cba1ebe0976a

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 10 of 11
klel

Hi again

Thanks alot for your workflow. Inspired by this it seems that i for now am able to place this particular beam on grid. I also noted that I in the section where I see the wall can move other transversal beams to grid by aligning.

So were done for now. But I must say that it still bothers me that I after setting the workplane to this particular slope(by host element or by reference plane) am not able to draw beams straight on grid and that beams that are actually on grid get skewed of grid when I try to make them longer by dragging. This does hamper my work.

The idea of a beam system has great appeal to me - but so far I can not see how I can use it for such a complex geometry as this.

Thanks

Klæmint

Message 11 of 11
Fattahfarah

İ didnt understan how to  target=_blankSnapping beam to grid in sloped roof .    all may drawing are so small can some one help me about how to reset in to original mode

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report