Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skills test for potential new hire

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
RAMasterson
6834 Views, 4 Replies

Skills test for potential new hire

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to test the Revit skills of someone during an interview? The best would be to have them sit a machine and complete some tasks. If anyone has a test they would like to share, that would be a great help!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
alan.quinn
in reply to: RAMasterson

Skills testing on anything can be tricky. Some people do well with tests while other do poorly. The whole notion of testing can bring up all sorts of feeling and possibly bad/good memories of prior tests. The other issue is people follow guide lines and instructions very differently. Speaking for myself I like more pictures and fewer words, while others may relate better to straight text. Also, what/how do you grade? Is it on a curve, or merely based on the answer; right or wrong. What if the person got it right, but went about it in a different manner than the instruction indicated, would the answer be wrong or right?

However, I can see having a standard set of tasks that is very well documents and pre-tested to see where peoples skills are, but setting it up and managing it would be interesting.

I did test one application (the name escapes me now) some time ago and was less than impressed with the results, for some of the same reasons I mentioned above. Possible asking candidates to be Autodesk Certified might level the playing field somewhat. I have included a link below, but if you find something please respond to this post.

https://share.autodesk.com/LandE/Pages/Article-2011CertExams.aspx

I would appreciate it if you would let me know if this answers your question. If it doesn't, please reply with more information about what you are trying to do so that I can provide a better answer.

Thank you,

Message 3 of 5
ccollins

We give both a written (50 questions ) and a hands-on Revit test where step-by-step instructions are given

to create a model from scratch. Both tests are administered with a tight time frame to test candidates on finishing on time.

It's a custom in-house test which I developed--and is proprietary info so I can not share it publically.

But it's a very good idea to test new hires and even current staff periodically.

The test must be constantly updated to new software and BIM developments.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 5

We also test. Not so much as a your hired/your fired senario, but it helps us understand what their level of expertise and knoledge is, and not just what they say or put on their resume. Revit is a much more complicated program than 2D cad and we want to make sure the people we hire have a good understanding of how to put together a building (modeling) in 3D, and are not just a 2D drafter.

We have a general knowledge questionaire - 60 questions

and a practical hands on test - 45 questions

Charles Berteaux IV
EDT BIM/VDC/Technology Department Manager | SSOE Group | Hillsboro
www.ssoe.com

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Tags (4)
Message 5 of 5
mnolasco

I have a very basic modeling test that would take an experienced user about 5-10 min to complete. It's basically a trellis-like structure but I have a few tricks like different size posts, materials, etc. that allow me to gauge if the user is not only proficient in: A) Revit, B) Structural assemblies, C) Construction Annotation, but also D)Attention to nuances in design. I supply plans and elevations and mention that it should take about 20 min. I also mention that it takes me 10 min so they know that I'm not expecting them to be an all-star. I use Revit out-of-the-box (meaning NO templates) and have all items pre-loaded in addition to extra items just to murk the waters a bit. No template allows for a level playing field as I think expecting a user to know your families, etc. is inconsiderate to their anxiety.

Finally, I ask the candidate what version they're most comfortable with and test with that. I don't care if they know 2016 like a pro because if they know 2013 like a pro and have never touched 2014+, it's all fundamentally the same. I let them loose and say that I'll check in in about ten minutes to help with any questions they might have. You never know if someone is just racking their brain b/c they can't get started but once they have that info they rock it out. 

While I'm providing assitance, I monitor how they handle feedback and instruction; do they have a good attitude about it? Do they listen? Do they act like they know it all (not a good sign if they actually don't)? If they nail the test (which has only happened once, meaning fully modeled and annotated), I ask them to add in extras like footings, etc. to see how well they can  go off the cuff. 

I never stop them short unless I really feel that it's not going to get completed. I let them take as much time as needed, jot that down on their resume (make zero remark and zero conveyance of my impression) and then continue the interview discussion. I let them know that I'll take a look at the model at a later time, after the interview.

Maybe it's too nice of a test but I can tell when a cadidate is good based on usage of terminology, attention to the test requirements, etc. I am terrible test taker and might bomb a hard test due to nerves but I am a kicka$$ Reviteer so I really consider when devising exams.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report