Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchy Line pattern

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
jesser
6019 Views, 17 Replies

Sketchy Line pattern

It frustrates me to ask this question, but driving forces in our firm (Partners) are requesting less finished looking plans.  We've starting using REVIT very early in design are looking for a way to override the straight lined plan views with a sketchy, wiggly line pattern type.

I am trying to avoid bringing the model into sketchup, tracing by hand, these would require additional work to create and layout sheets in a Indesign type program.

I realize it is a larger discussion on the value of that sketchy look vs. the additional cost to get that look.

Just thought I would ask and see if anyone has seen or created a line pattern that looked like a shaky line.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Remick

"Sometimes the solution is so clear you see right through it."
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
cvandevere
in reply to: jesser

There's nothing built into Revit to give that sketchy look that I am aware of.  You will probaly have to either save as a dwg file and open in autocad, if you have it, there is or at least used be an option called napkin sketch. Also there may be some other programs that you can bring a dwg file into it and do it it as well. Hopefully there will be some other suggestions.

Napkin Sketch is a good wish list item for Revit though.

CDV
Message 3 of 18
jim5552

Grasping at straws here...

Maybe print as PDF / jpg and apply a mask effect in photoshop? I'd hate to redraw it...

Does AutoCAD have a "sketch" line type? If one exists, export your views to AutoCAD and change your line type.

Message 4 of 18
parveen.revit

Google SketchUp (Now it's Trimble SketchUp) has feature to convert AutoCAD drawing lines into sketchy lines.

We have done it multiple times and it is excellent.

You can find more detailed description at  Greg's Blog: http://bimboom.blogspot.in/2008/01/that-hand-drawn-look-revit-and-sketchup.html

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 5 of 18
vector2
in reply to: parveen.revit

You're doing a great job here parveen, that's what we need.

As for the Revit to SketchUp for a hand drawn look, that's all

well and good except they fail to mention one thing: the version

of SketchUp that imports dwg is the version that costs $500. Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 18
parveen.revit
in reply to: vector2

thanks for the appreciation.

you can try Google SketchUp Pro for 8 hour without charges.

and 8 hours is a decent time i guess Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
vector2

Wow I didn't even see that 8 hours. 

I've always wanted a good pencil sketch look, I think I'll

try that and if I like it I'll buy it.

Message 8 of 18
parveen.revit

you can use it for 10 minutes and close the program.

Your 7 hours and 50 minutes are balance. You can use it any time even after months.

It works different than Autocad 30 days (counts even weekend Smiley Happyjust joking).

Message 9 of 18
vector2

@parveen.revit wrote:

you can use it for 10 minutes and close the program.

Your 7 hours and 50 minutes are balance. You can use it any time even after months.

Don't forget it probably says in the EULA that the trial is not to

be used commercially. But yeah I sure would like to test out that

sketchy line thing.

Message 10 of 18
parveen.revit

I know you will say that Man Happy

you all know the workaround now, it's now upto you how you want to use it.

Vector2, you must use it only for test and trial only.

Message 11 of 18

just joking...

Message 12 of 18
jesser

Thanks for the feedback.  We have Sketchup Pro, which I am assuming is the $500 version you are talking about.  I'll take a look and see what steps are needed. 

I am trying to avoid using multiple programs, because I feel it is a waste of time to do this and I don't want to lose the efficiency of REVIT.  I assme with using sketchup I won't be able to apply this to all sheets, but rather individual views.   As more and more people feel comfortable with hard lined drawings and don't associate them with being finished, this issue is more psychological.

Jesse

Jesse Remick

Message 13 of 18
98jackalope

Here's what I've done to get those line extensions you see in SketchUp into a Revit view.  It gives it a bit of a sketch-y look that may be more appealing to folks.  Yes, this requires a pro version of SketchUp.

1. In Revit -- Export Revit view that you want to make sketchy to a .dwg

2. In SketchUP -- Import the .dwg into SketchUp

3. Still in SketchUp -- Export a 2D Graphic.  In that dialogue box, select Options in the lower right corner.  You can make adjustments to the line extensions here.  I would suggest 2 to 3 inches at first, then you can adjust.  Leave all the other options on the defaults.

4.  In Revit -- Under the Insert tab on the ribbon, select Link CAD.  Link in the .dwg you just exported out of SketchUp.  Make the line colors black and white.  All the other defaults are okay.  Place this linked file on top of your Revit view, aligning the line work.  This may take a little finessing with more that one view.  At this point you should seen the line extensions.

5. In Revit -- Adjust the line weights using the Override Graphics in View -> By Element for the linked file.  Select your line weight and adjust to suit.

You'll need to do this for every view that you want to give the look to.  Hope this helps someone.  I was pretty happy with the results and it only took a few minutes.

Message 14 of 18
wernersenekal78

I agree, Revit should at least have a add in for squiggly lines. It is architectural. My lecturers prefer Archicad and it is one of the reason why, they say Revit  is too ridged and formal in presentation. Please Autodesk, this is huge in the architectural circles. Everybody needs to buy Sketch-Up just get this effect.

Werner

Message 15 of 18
fclayton
in reply to: wernersenekal78
Message 16 of 18
jesser
in reply to: fclayton

Yes the added feature of the sketchy lines is pretty good.

Jesse Remick

Message 17 of 18
Revit_LT

"Yes the added feature of the sketchy lines is pretty good."

Wow, almost three years later. But I totally agree, the sketchy-line

capability they added for version 2015 was a great idea. I love to

show changes to the design with sketchy lines. It almost makes 

Revit the design tool it always wanted to be. 

Message 18 of 18
andy
in reply to: fclayton

This is great, thanks for the persistancy on this thread!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report