Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketchup vs revit

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cbaze
10730 Views, 7 Replies

sketchup vs revit

We have a user in the office that insist on modeling everything twice, once in sketchup and once in revit. This is mainly because he's unable to view materials on the revit model in real time, and doesn't like to wait 2-3 minutes for rendering every time he wants to see the materials. Has anyone else had someone like this in their office? What can I do to pry sketchup out of his hands?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: cbaze

Does the user get the work done by deadline and
under budget??  If so what is the problem?? 

It is an issue if it takes twice as long and
deadlines are missed, that is your argument.

ACote

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
We
have a user in the office that insist on modeling everything twice, once in
sketchup and once in revit. This is mainly because he's unable to view
materials on the revit model in real time, and doesn't like to wait 2-3
minutes for rendering every time he wants to see the materials. Has anyone
else had someone like this in their office? What can I do to pry sketchup out
of his hands?
Message 3 of 8
ttorres

That's kind of funny ... the way your co-worker does it, is the way most offices I know do it (as well as ours), at least for certain phases. Is he using the models for Schematic Design, Design Development, or Construction Documents?

No offense here, as this is a Revit user group; I think Revit is incredible, but I can model and create renderings MUCH faster in Sketchup than I can in Revit. There is a level of detail that is not needed for earlier phases of work. Why do you need to see materials in a Revit model? Is it being used for Photo-real renderings?

Edited by: ttorres on Nov 13, 2008 7:10 PM Edited by: ttorres on Nov 14, 2008 12:22 AM
Message 4 of 8
piramis

Hi ttorres,

I was wondering if you could lighten me up on something... since you've been using both Sketchup & Revit.
At the office, we all work in Autodesk Architecture 2009, but I went back to grad school and noticed that everyone is working in Sketchup (for modeling) and Maxwell (for rendering). I am ready to learn any of these programs, but want to make sure that I can get my projects done as fast and as easy as possible. So, would you recommend learning Revit (and using it for both modeling & rendering) or learning Sketchup instead? (my project is due in 5 weeks).
I appreciate any input on this...
Message 5 of 8

We use sketchup for concept and feasibility as it is easier to adjust the shapes and quickly sketch-up concepts. When main design is finalised we then transfer the project into Revit.

Although I know some will disagree with me, Revit it is preliminary a tool for construction documentation and wants to know how the building goes together, at the concept stage this can be a pain in the arse when you just want to shift shapes around for massing.

Saying that I have had times when I wish I had just stuck with revit, as I am rubbish at sketchup and want to Nuke it from Orbit. I always seem to make the model implode on itself.

Regards

Adam
adam@customrevitfamilies.com Edited by: CustomRevitFamilies.com on Jan 17, 2009 8:21 PM
Message 6 of 8
piramis

Oh, ok. That makes sense... Well then, I will focus on Sketchup for now, since I will probably end up using Revit for the building information modeling & production end of the process...
Thank you so much for the advice - I have a feeling this will save me lots of time and frustration, especially in the beginning.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I would concur - with regard to Sketchup though,
the implosion you experience might be a result of your video card. Of all the
rpograms I usse regularly, SketchUp is the only one that heavily relies on
hardware for graphics acceleration (or at least the only one I notice.) Even
otherwise "good" 256 and 512 MB cards can choke on it if the OpenGL isn't done
correclty in the driver.

If you have any Quadro FX type grpahics cards you
should be good. Quadro NVS's are, sorry to say it, garbage for
SketchUp.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Oh,
ok. That makes sense... Well then, I will focus on Sketchup for now, since I
will probably end up using Revit for the building information modeling &
production end of the process... Thank you so much for the advice - I have a
feeling this will save me lots of time and frustration, especially in the
beginning.
Message 8 of 8
madeforworship

Hey everyone, this is a great topic.  Check out this post as well.  Both sides presented pretty well...while this is drawn out, it really states the case for both sides.

Autodesk Revit Architecture vs Google Sketchup Is there any comparison?

At my office, on the Revit projects we have done (not many yet), we have used Sketchup for conceptual design and production animation/rendering (paired with 3dsMAX of course and VRAY), and we have determined that the best point to transition to Revit is at the point that hard lined elevations are to be drawn.

Basically the goal is to minimize or even remove the need for AutoCAD to be apart of the Schematic design submittal, except possibly for the purposes of site plans, since Revit still doesn't handle this very efficiently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report