Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Question : How do I open a DWG file in Revit?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
53938 Views, 10 Replies

Simple Question : How do I open a DWG file in Revit?

I don't know how to simply import or open a DWG file from AutoCad into Revit.

Please help me with instructions!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use import CAD in insert tab of your ribbon. 

Here is a sample for creating your own title block: http://cad-notes.com/2010/07/creating-title-block-from-autocad-sheet/

And here is a sample of importing 2D drawings to 3D model: http://cad-notes.com/2009/10/creating-revit-family-from-2d-drawings/

Message 3 of 11
alan.quinn

You may also want to review the information in the following link on Using Information from Other Sources:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS46b90c3cb2c58cad197a37cfc7f993a64-7fec.htm

Thank you,

Message 4 of 11
H0LT

How do I control imported lineweights?

I'm using Revit Architecture 2011 & I had no trouble importing a manufacture's detail into a drafting view, but I can't find where to change the lineweights. There is no "Import/ Export Settings" under the File pull down & I can't find it anywhere else.

Thanks,

Lysle

Message 5 of 11
alan.quinn
in reply to: H0LT

Lysle

I understand you want control imported lineweights. The Revit Help file seems to address this question. If you follow the below link I believe you will find the information you need.

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS46b90c3cb2c58cad197a37cfc7f993a64-7fe4.htm

I would appreciate it if you would let me know if this answers your question. If it doesn't, please reply with more information about what you are trying to do so that I can provide a better answer.

Thank you,

Message 6 of 11
H0LT

Alan,

Yes, that did it. Thank you

What I missed was the small arrow at the extreme right of the Import panel. Also I searched Help using "Import Settings" which led me only to the old command. Like many "Help" searches and not just in Revit, if you don't have the right wording, you can't get the right answer.

Also I previously posted this question as a separate thread, but when it didn't show up after over an hour I posted the question on this thread. It was my 1st post so I thought maybe I did something wrong, but it now shows up. For my future reference, is that delay normal?

And I have to remember You can't think Autocad & use Revit.

Again thank you

Lysle

Message 7 of 11
alan.quinn

Lysle,

You should not experience any delay in posting, that’s assuming all our systems are up and running.

Thank you,

Message 8 of 11
H0LT

Alan,

As I continue to poke around in Revit 2011 I found that Manage - Object Styles - Imported Objects seems to allow me to change lineweights after the import. The other method makes the changes automatically when the file is imported. Is that correct?

My other postings have been immediate.

Thanks,

Lysle

Message 9 of 11
alan.quinn

Lysle

Yes, you are correct on both counts, but I will add the following. Manage - Object Styles - Imported Objects allows you to change lineweights after the import for the entire project. However, if you want to change one view you can do this in the Visibility/Graphics Overrides of the view.  Go to the view and click Edit (next Visibility/Graphics Overrides) in the views properties box. After the box opens click on Import Categories and then change the lineweights to suit your needs. Keep the scale of the view in mind, if the scale changes so will the display. Something else that might help is you can then create a View Template of the view and apply it to other views within the project.

Let me know if this helped and thank you,

Message 10 of 11
H0LT

Yes, this helped greatly.

Thank you,

Lysle

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Edwin-

Thanks for your reply! I figured it out and knew it would be easy that I was just missing a button. I am trying to use sources from websites that provide AutoCad 2D and 3D symbols for some products I am using. How would I go about using those and being able to do perspectives "camera" shots?? I saw your other posting, but wasn't sure if it would apply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report