Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siding showing in wall???

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
LisaDrago
7957 Views, 7 Replies

Siding showing in wall???

So I am working with a student on his final project - and he created a new material for the vinyl siding... 

It is now showing up in all the walls when he goes to a realistic view on the floor plan... Image attached for reference.

I am at a loss - any ideas?

The exterior and interior walls are two different wall types. I have gone through the walls and they are built correctly.

So what do you think?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

hi Lisa,

I'm not sure if I understood you well...is this what you want in Realistic View with mapping applied?

Image 1.png

If it is,then make a copy of the material and rotate the copy by the angle of the second wall ( in this case 90 degrees)....it doesn't look too clever ,but it solves the problem  in a way....

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 8

I have tested it in 3d and there is a problem....if you use the Top View of 3d it looks ok and you do not need to rotate the map. ..The 3d rendering is also ok...Image 3.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 4 of 8

Okay - so it should look like that?

Even though those are two different wall types. Just one material over all walls when in realistic view. 

The attached image is what I expected... It shows the materials used in a realistic on a floor plan view.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 5 of 8

Hi Lisa,

Dificult problem...I believe this comes from the fact that Revit is not very developed on mapping side...

I made some personal observations on this problem :

1. The Surface Pattern can be chosen  : Model and Drafting . Unlike Surface,  Cut Pattern is only Drafting.
  2. Surface Pattern  as Model Pattern can be rotated and align so to change the angle of the mapping. These changed angle is preserved between Graphics and Appearance of materials  , thus once rotated in Hidden Linen or Shaded the angle will be preserved in Realistic and in Rendering
  3. Unlike the Surface Pattern, the Cut Pattern  as being only Drafting can not be rotated...
  4. for Realistic View +Rendering : As I observed from a comparison with 3ds Max ( which is much developed on mapping and materials side) , in Revit , the Map is only Planar  (unlike in 3ds Max ,where you have Box, Face,etc....a lot of mapping options applied on objects and on subobjects )  and oriented to object ( no subobject choice). In 3d View Revit, by default, the maping (Planar) is applied oriented to view  , so in the sectioned part the material will be horizontal-vertical oriented relative to view ( In order to change the orentation of maping so to fit the object face not the view's  orientation- as in Plan view, you can use RC on ViewCube > Orient to View > Floor Plans...)

I hope that my observations can be much better developed by people from Autodesk......or by other Forum members that experienced this kind of problems...

Coming back to your post question, as a conclusion to my above observations, unfortunately , I don't see other solution for  material appearance in Plan View - Horizontal Section of mapped object -Realistic and Rendering ( perpendicular to map application) other than creating a new material with rotated map....

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 6 of 8

@ Constantin: If I understand correctly, the problem is not the rotation of the material. The problem is that the siding material is showing in all the surface of the wall in plan view. It should show that material only as a thin layer of finish, on the outside face of the wall.

@Lisa : please post an image of the type properties of the wall, or post the file. Without seeing the properties it is difficult to tell what is causing this.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 8

a sort of workaround can be if you accept to make a graphic override in Realistic View, using Parts and Filters...the result could be something like in these images:

Image 372.png

Image 373.png

both images are made in  Realistic View...but this is not preserved in Rendering (of the 3d)

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 8

for Alfredo:

Yes , but because the maping in Revit is not very smart and does not work on subobject level  , maybe a workaround could be done. Do you think that an override using simple colors of the layers in cut view using Parts has sense?

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report