Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shingle scale

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rrbryce
1123 Views, 12 Replies

shingle scale

having a bit of a problem with the rendered scale of my shingles.  they are too big.  only for this model.  there must be some setting I've messed up.

help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

1. Do you make your rendering on cloud? - Auodesk 360 ?
  2. Do you work in metric?

If you have both cases ( this happend usually to me, especially for materials that are not in the default libraries.)..then  scale the map ...something as 1/24 . The system considers that you work in inches....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 13

Constantin,  I do render in the cloud with Autodesk Amazon Servers, and I work in feet and inches,  not metric, and I'm using a material (several tries with various materials from the Revit library) which comes directly from the Revit standard library which comes with the software.  However, it is possible that I downloaded a wood shake shingle from one of the online sources.  I find it odd that the brick renders in the correct scale but the shingles do not.  I will point out that before I send the model to Autodesk to be rendered that the shingles (regardless of what shingle I am using), that the image on my screen shows the shingles in their proper scale.

Thank you for taking the time to post a possible solution.

I changed the scale of the model from 1/8" =1'-0" to 1/4" = 1'-0" and rendered the model in the cloud.

when you write "scale the map" I think you are talking about the material, not the model scale.  If true, I am not familiar with the proceedure to change the scale of the material. 

I have attached the rendered image after changing the model scale to 1/4" = 1'-0".  the shingles still show up way too large.  The good news is that they look good and once I find the 'work around' for this issue, they renderings will look nice.

bob

Message 4 of 13
rrbryce
in reply to: rrbryce

I Still have not solved this issue.  if anyone has a suggestion, i'm all ears.

thanks in advance

bob

Message 5 of 13

in order to decrease the scale of the map ;

• Select Roof >Edit Type >Type Properties > Construction -Structure -Edit > Finish > Roofing Material -click to open Material Browser
  • Material Browser > Appearance > click the right small arrow - Edit Image (first do it for the Relief Patterns then for the Roof pattern  image ) > Scale
  • decrease the the scale so to make pattern smaller

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 5.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 13

better look at this screencast....

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/69a62c5c-098f-4b6b-a212-2cbd725781a2

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 13

thank you Constantin for taking the time to left foot right foot me through the steps.  that effort on your part is greatly appreciated.  I changed the horizontal scale from 2 ft to 4 ft and from 2 ft to 1/4" and after rendering using autodesk cloud services, i don't see any change in the scale, although the appearance is clearly different. I have attached both rendered versions.

thanks for the help.  if you have any other suggestions, I am as always, all ears.

bob

Message 8 of 13
rrbryce

When I render in the cloud using Autodesk cloud, i still get the big shingles, but using the same settings, when I render on my surface pro, it renders the shingles fine.

the two rendered images are attached.

bob

Message 9 of 13
L.Maas

When rendering in the cloud have you tried differnt settings?

I understand that when the exposure setting is set to native it will take more settings as you have set it in Revit. And when set on advanced it takes more settings from the cloud server. Further I understood that the cloud render is a different renderer than the one used in Revit.

Render.png

So maybe you can check if a render under native or advanced makes a difference to your result from the cloud?

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 10 of 13
rrbryce
in reply to: L.Maas

great suggestion!  thanks!  I'll try it tonight when I get home and let you know.

bob

Message 11 of 13
rrbryce
in reply to: L.Maas

I tried your suggestion, but the results using the AutoDESK servers remains the same.  the shingles are way too big.  I find this odd because all of the other models I render using the AutoDESK servers do not do this to the shingles, only this model.

attached is the result using your suggested settings.

bob

Message 12 of 13
L.Maas

Possibly two routes to follow.

Contact Customer Support and see if they can assist.

Post part of your model (e.g roof with the shingle material).

When removing parts of your model confirm that (cloud)rendering still gives wrong results. Then maybe the forum members can have look and see if they get the same results or can find a solution.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 13 of 13
JOHNROSA6957

Thank you so much. I never saw the edit image. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report