Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Naming Conventions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
KevinFielding
4204 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet Naming Conventions

Hi,

My company is based in the UK and looking to establish a new naming convention within our office for sheets within Revit. The national BIM standards (US) seem quite applicable and easy to implement however I would prefer to stick with a UK based convention like BS1192 or AEC UK Standards for collaborative workings etc, however neither are the best.  

BS1192

[Project]-[Originator]-[Zone]-[Level]-[File Type]-[Discipline]-[Number]  i.e. 2153-AEW-01-03-DR-A-0001

AEC Standards UK

[Project]-[Discipline]-[Zone]-[View]-[Level]-[Content]-[Number] i.e. 2153-A-01-P-03-G42-0001

I am wondering how others are dealing with this, and organising the sheets in Revit.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rosskirby
in reply to: KevinFielding

I'm not familiar with the UK naming conventions, but what you posted looks rather unwieldly and worse than useless.  And are you sure you're talking about sheet names, and not view names?

Our sheets are A-000 (coversheet), A-101 (first floor plan), A-102 (second floor plan), etc., with other numbers for building sections, wall sections, plan details, section details, perspectives, exterior elevations and interior elevations.  I don't see any practical benefit to including the project number, originator, zone, level or file type into the sheet number.

If you're talking about view names, you'll definitely want to go with something much simpler, like 01_Floor Plan_New_Working (First floor plan, new construction, working view) or 02_Furniture Plan_New_Annotation (Second floor furniture plan, new construction, annotation view).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 8
KevinFielding
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks for the response.

I'm definitely referring to Sheet views.  The standards I showed have been derived from a multiformat file naming system.  The benefit being (supposedly) that you know exactly the area of the building from which the drawing originates.  These standards are primarily for BIM workflows and collaborative working so all consultants are using the same file format.  

The UK standards are primarily designed for massive construction projects for smaller jobs it is acceptable to remove the level or zone if it is irrelevant

I definitely agree with descriptive view naming.

Like I said the National Bim Standards in the US are good, but I don't want to alienate our consultants with a standard that no-one in the UK may use.

Regards,

K

Message 4 of 8

we generally follow AEC UK Standards.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Parveen for your response.

Would you like to elaborate on your response and provide a few examples of how you implement this with revit. One of my issues is browser organization.

Regards,

K
Message 6 of 8

any specific type of project you wnat to take as an example ?

residential, commercial etc, small or large, only architectural or a complete project with all disciplines.

I can share the  drawing list of specific project type.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 7 of 8

Parveen,

We typically work on commercial and large retail projects, values typically about £5 million. Medium to large projects.

We dont provide multi discipline service but will be collaborating in a BIM Environment so any pointers on that front would be great.

Thanks,

K
Message 8 of 8
tiangkl
in reply to: parveen.revit

Hi Parveen,

Could you share the sheet naming/drawing list of residential high rise project to me?

Regards,

Kor Lin

@parveen.revit wrote:

any specific type of project you wnat to take as an example ?

residential, commercial etc, small or large, only architectural or a complete project with all disciplines.

I can share the  drawing list of specific project type.

(BIM Engineer)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report