Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a shared parameters file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nickkennelly1022
1359 Views, 4 Replies

Sharing a shared parameters file

Apologies in advanced if this is a simple answer. I did do a search but didn't find anything specific to what I was looking for.

We have centralized our content for our Revit users. We then customize the ini file to insure the paths look to the network locations. 

One of my users has said that the proper and only recommended way to update the shared parameters file is while you are in Revit (I.E. have the path to the shared parameters file look to the network location instead of locally) so it updates on the fly. I didnt want to do that as I do not want to alter the "master" copy of the content we have on the network. I'd prefer that the user updates it locally, then we can just copy the file and overwrite the older file on the network.

Is this a bad idea? I find nothing that says it is, but I prefer to explore all options and avenues first.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mmates
in reply to: nickkennelly1022

@nickkennelly1022 wrote:

One of my users has said that the proper and only recommended way to update the shared parameters file is while you are in Revit (I.E. have the path to the shared parameters file look to the network location instead of locally) so it updates on the fly. I didnt want to do that as I do not want to alter the "master" copy of the content we have on the network. I'd prefer that the user updates it locally, then we can just copy the file and overwrite the older file on the network.

Is this a bad idea? I find nothing that says it is, but I prefer to explore all options and avenues first.

I'm pretty sure this method could cause problems especially if individual users can create their own shared parameters in their local file.  Revit shared parameters include a special GUID code that is generated automatically by Revit.  So if two users created the same shared parameter name in their local file respectively, I would expect the special code to be different, but I could be wrong.  Then you could accidentally end up with duplicate parameters in the same project (or family).  For example, let's say one user loads "his" similar shared parameter into a family and another user loads "her" similar shared parameter into a project.  If "his" family is loaded into "her" project, I would expect a duplicate parameter listing in the project.  The duplicate parameters will behave differently when it comes to schedules or tags.  Then we can blame it on "her".

Smiley Tongue

Check out the links below for good information on managing shared parameters:

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/06/sharing-parameters-overview.html   -  Search this site for "shared parameter" and locate the relative posts.

http://aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2011/issue58-revit.html

HTH,

Mark Mates
BIM Manager - Mason & Hanger
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
nickkennelly1022
in reply to: mmates

Hmmm... well technically right now, the shared parameters file path all point to one network location. The thing is, they have setup that network location to be synced to several locations across our company, so that arch users in one office technically pull from a local server. At night the content is re-synced so that all match up. They only make permanent changes on the master copy which is on a server in our datacenter near the home office. 

So, basically, what you are saying is... each user needs to have their own parameters file due to the GUID. However, as of right now, all our users share one. If they need to go back to each having their own and managing to insure they share the same settings in it, I can tell them. However, if it is at all possible to have one master copy that can be overwritten and shared via network... that would be better.

I will read the links you sent. I appreciate your time!

Message 4 of 5
mmates

@nickkennelly1022 wrote:

So, basically, what you are saying is... each user needs to have their own parameters file due to the GUID.

No, the opposite.  I think what you're currently doing is fine... one master file that is synchronized across offices.  I think you'll find (in the links) that it's recommended to have one shared parameter "guru" to coordinate and manage the "corporate" shared parameters file.

Mark Mates
Message 5 of 5
mmates

@nickkennelly1022 wrote:

I thought, from your initial post, that you wanted to set the path to the shared parameters file to each local user's machine.  Thus, you would have to maintain several versions and shared parameters.  So I was stating that this was a bad idea.

Mark Mates

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report