Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Parameters

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
255 Views, 3 Replies

Shared Parameters

Can somebody give me a very good example of "Shared Parameter", as I am trying to explain this to few ADT users, and I guess I am not able to convinence them. So, please if any body can explain with a good example. Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

From the Help files: "Shared parameters are parameters that you can add to either families or projects and then share with other families and projects. They give you the ability to add specific data that is not already predefined in the family file or the project template. They are particularly useful if you want to create a schedule that displays various family categories. Without a shared parameter, you cannot do this. But if you create a shared parameter and add it to the desired family categories, you can then create a schedule with these categories. This is called creating a multi-category schedule in Autodesk Revit. Shared parameters are stored in a file independent of any family file or Revit project; this allows you to access the file from different families or projects. You save shared parameters to a text file; you can then place that text file in a shared area on your network to allow others to access it. You can create shared parameters either in a project view or the Family Editor. Your session of Autodesk Revit can reference only one shared parameter file at a time. If there are other shared parameters in a different file that you want in the active shared parameter file, you need to export the parameters to the active file." Maybe an example of a shared parameter would be "Color Pallette" which could be shared across families within a project. The materials for individual objects could use if/then formulas to define the materials. If Pallette = 1, then material = A. If 2, then B. If your obejects were set up this way, changing one shared parameter called Pallette could change the material of every object in you rmodel. "Bim Consultant" wrote in message news:4131f5bc_3@newsprd01... > Can somebody give me a very good example of "Shared Parameter", as I am > trying to explain this to few ADT users, and I guess I am not able to > convinence them. So, please if any body can explain with a good example. > > Thanks in advance > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Shared parameters provide the mechanism to extend the set of factory supplied parameters for custom needs. For example if someone wants to mark every building element with a name of a party responsible for installation then it is easy to create a parameter called Installer and assign values such as General Contractor, Owner, Not in Contract, etc and produce schedules listing Installers. One could also make tags and apply them to furniture, walls, whatever that would show who is responsible for installation. There are many other uses of shared parameters. Any time you need to have additional (usually non-geometric) parameters for building elements and want to show them either in schedules or in tags shared parameters is the way to go. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:41320927$1_3@newsprd01... > From the Help files: > "Shared parameters are parameters that you can add to either families or > projects and then share with other families and projects. They give you the > ability to add specific data that is not already predefined in the family > file or the project template. They are particularly useful if you want to > create a schedule that displays various family categories. Without a shared > parameter, you cannot do this. But if you create a shared parameter and add > it to the desired family categories, you can then create a schedule with > these categories. This is called creating a multi-category schedule in > Autodesk Revit. > > Shared parameters are stored in a file independent of any family file or > Revit project; this allows you to access the file from different families or > projects. > > You save shared parameters to a text file; you can then place that text file > in a shared area on your network to allow others to access it. You can > create shared parameters either in a project view or the Family Editor. > > Your session of Autodesk Revit can reference only one shared parameter file > at a time. If there are other shared parameters in a different file that you > want in the active shared parameter file, you need to export the parameters > to the active file." > > Maybe an example of a shared parameter would be "Color Pallette" which could > be shared across families within a project. The materials for individual > objects could use if/then formulas to define the materials. If Pallette = > 1, then material = A. If 2, then B. If your obejects were set up this way, > changing one shared parameter called Pallette could change the material of > every object in you rmodel. > > "Bim Consultant" wrote in message > news:4131f5bc_3@newsprd01... > > Can somebody give me a very good example of "Shared Parameter", as I am > > trying to explain this to few ADT users, and I guess I am not able to > > convinence them. So, please if any body can explain with a good example. > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I've added several shared parameters to room tags used in a large institutional project. They let me indicate department, use, occupancy, equipment, etc. and schedule them. I can also output all this to Excel to compare to the program requirements for each, etc. I can also create area plans using this information which are amazing and completely automatic. "Leonid Raiz" wrote in message news:41320d4a$1_3@newsprd01... > Shared parameters provide the mechanism to extend the set of factory > supplied parameters for custom needs. For example if someone wants to mark > every building element with a name of a party responsible for installation > then it is easy to create a parameter called Installer and assign values > such as General Contractor, Owner, Not in Contract, etc and produce > schedules listing Installers. One could also make tags and apply them to > furniture, walls, whatever that would show who is responsible for > installation. There are many other uses of shared parameters. Any time you > need to have additional (usually non-geometric) parameters for building > elements and want to show them either in schedules or in tags shared > parameters is the way to go. > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:41320927$1_3@newsprd01... > > From the Help files: > > "Shared parameters are parameters that you can add to either families or > > projects and then share with other families and projects. They give you > the > > ability to add specific data that is not already predefined in the family > > file or the project template. They are particularly useful if you want to > > create a schedule that displays various family categories. Without a > shared > > parameter, you cannot do this. But if you create a shared parameter and > add > > it to the desired family categories, you can then create a schedule with > > these categories. This is called creating a multi-category schedule in > > Autodesk Revit. > > > > Shared parameters are stored in a file independent of any family file or > > Revit project; this allows you to access the file from different families > or > > projects. > > > > You save shared parameters to a text file; you can then place that text > file > > in a shared area on your network to allow others to access it. You can > > create shared parameters either in a project view or the Family Editor. > > > > Your session of Autodesk Revit can reference only one shared parameter > file > > at a time. If there are other shared parameters in a different file that > you > > want in the active shared parameter file, you need to export the > parameters > > to the active file." > > > > Maybe an example of a shared parameter would be "Color Pallette" which > could > > be shared across families within a project. The materials for individual > > objects could use if/then formulas to define the materials. If Pallette = > > 1, then material = A. If 2, then B. If your obejects were set up this > way, > > changing one shared parameter called Pallette could change the material of > > every object in you rmodel. > > > > "Bim Consultant" wrote in message > > news:4131f5bc_3@newsprd01... > > > Can somebody give me a very good example of "Shared Parameter", as I am > > > trying to explain this to few ADT users, and I guess I am not able to > > > convinence them. So, please if any body can explain with a good example. > > > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report