Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 11 of 18 (170 Views)

Re: Shafts

01-07-2013 08:53 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I believe that what the OP was asking for is an automated way for all Piping to cut thru all elements which they penetrate. That is beyond Revit's capability.

Creating Shafts, using in-place voids, etc. are solutions--but are not fully automatic and require a lot of time and effort

especially when piping systems are edited/revised.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Mentor
norcaljess
Message 12 of 18 (165 Views)

01-07-2013 08:58 AM in reply to: ccollins

Yeah, you are right Cliff.  It's just one more item to mark on the list of things you have to check and not forget to edit.  There are a lot of those things in Revit, that "could" or "should" be automated, but aren't.  There's a LOT to keep track of on the MEP side. 

Thanks for everyone's help on the subject.

Jess

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 13 of 18 (159 Views)

01-07-2013 09:04 AM in reply to: norcaljess

In that case, every piece of sanitary pipe that goes through a slab would be an interference.... Every segment of domestic water that goes inside a wall would be an interference... Every duct that connects to a diffuser in a ceiling would be an interference... If it was like that, no work could be done in Revit MEP at all, if every time a pipe goes through something Revit had to actually cut the object.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
norcaljess
Message 14 of 18 (154 Views)

01-07-2013 09:10 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

That is actually the case with most of Revit MEP items, if you run sanitary pipe through concrete, it does show as an interference.  If you show a piece of domestic water piping in the wall, it shows as an interference with the framing inside of the wall.  If you show a duct main going through a wall, it shows as an interference with that wall, it doesn't cut a hole.  There's an app out there from Tools 4 Revit called "Cut Opening" or something, that you can purchase, which will cut these holes, but again... it's a lot of upkeep.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 15 of 18 (138 Views)

01-07-2013 10:26 AM in reply to: norcaljess

It seems to me that what is needed here is a way to differentiate between types of interferences. Some are necessary, some are problematic. Not every interference should be a problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 16 of 18 (130 Views)

01-07-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

As I mentioned in one of the replies above, I think an application such as Navisworks which has purpose-built tools

for clash detection may be a better solution for the OP. Revit's clash / intereference tool finds EVERY instance where two elements are intersecting--and the results are not very helpful, as there are too many and the list becomes overwhelming. As Alfredo points out, Revit needs a way to filter the "clashes". And I agree, there are "good clashes" and "bad clashes".

The OP's situation warrants a special circumstance and toolset for a mass-production/factory/pre-fab delivery method.

Revit is still optimized for a more "traditional" field-built delivery method (although the line is beginning to blur here quickly as digital fabrication from BIM takes hold.)

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Mentor
norcaljess
Message 17 of 18 (99 Views)

01-22-2013 02:39 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Question on this!

I have created the Void family and I have it in my model.  However, when I try to cut multiple things with that void, I can't.  I can only get the ceiling geometry to cut.  After I cut the ceiling, the void family "disappears", a hole is cut in the ceiling, but where I want to cut the rest of the items (wall framing, floor, etc.), I can't.  The void seems to be gone.  I'm not sure how to explain it, hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks,

Jess

Mentor
norcaljess
Message 18 of 18 (91 Views)

01-22-2013 04:21 PM in reply to: norcaljess

Never mind my question.  Got it!  It was because the other elements that I wanted to cut were on Worksets that were Owned by another user.  Once he relinquished all of those components, it worked like a charm!  Woohoo!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.