Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
Wotdat
Message 1 of 8 (872 Views)

Set Roof Edge-Face Square to Slope

872 Views, 7 Replies
05-31-2006 10:49 PM
Hi, I have a generic 5" thick rectangular concrete roof layout with a single directional slope of 1:3.
Is there a way to have the bottom and upper egde-faces be square (Two Cut - Square) to the slope and not vertical (Two Cut - Plumb) ?

No facia applied to this roofing system. Just plane jane.

Thanks
*Jay
Message 2 of 8 (872 Views)

Re: Set Roof Edge-Face Square to Slope

06-01-2006 08:11 AM in reply to: Wotdat
I just went through this ordeal. You can have the bottom edge square by
using the two-cut square option in properties with the cut thickness equal
to the thickness of the roof assembly. There is no way to have the top edge
square. The workaround I used was to create an in-place roof family within
which I created a solid extrusion drawn in the side elevation.

wrote in message news:5191768@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi, I have a generic 5" thick rectangular concrete roof layout with a single
directional slope of 1:3.
Is there a way to have the bottom and upper egde-faces be square (Two Cut -
Square) to the slope and not vertical (Two Cut - Plumb) ?

No facia applied to this roofing system. Just plane jane.

Thanks
Wotdat
Message 3 of 8 (872 Views)

06-04-2006 03:12 PM in reply to: Wotdat
Ain't that Silly? You call something " 2-cut square " and only one face is squaring up?
Steve_Stafford
Message 4 of 8 (872 Views)

06-04-2006 09:57 PM in reply to: Wotdat
I don't think I understand the question... Are you asking for the entire eave edge to be square to the top of the roof?

Just use the two cut square option and make the value equal or larger than the roof thickness. When you use a smaller value you get a square portion equal to the value and the bottom returns under the roof.
Wotdat
Message 5 of 8 (872 Views)

06-04-2006 10:45 PM in reply to: Wotdat
The thing is, REVIT only recognizes the line with " Defines slope " Properties as face and only that face reacts to the " 2-Cut Square " setting and I think that is what you are referring. What I need to happen is to have the top and bottom edge faces be perpendicular to slope of roof.
gestes
Message 6 of 8 (815 Views)

01-14-2011 01:05 PM in reply to: Wotdat

Has there been any further development on this topic over the past 4-5 years?

My condition is a square planar roof that has been "rotated" on two axis (using a slope arrow) putting the 4 corners at 4 different z-planes. As stated above only 1 edge can be set to 'two cut square'. I need all 4 edges set to 'two cut square' so I can create a nice extruded fascia around the perimeter with clean miters.

Thanks!

Greg

Valued Contributor
ChrisBriley
Message 7 of 8 (539 Views)

02-01-2013 12:47 PM in reply to: Wotdat

I have the same issue.  I would like a single slope roof with all edges perpendicular to the roof.  I can make that happen for the bottom and sides but not the top.  It's 2013, and this program costs thousands so, Autodesk, pull your thumb out and give us a solution already. I'm sick of this.

jbernier
Message 8 of 8 (236 Views)

05-21-2014 02:33 PM in reply to: ChrisBriley

Still no fix from Autodesk on this (that I'm aware of), but I did find a really easy option.  Make the offending edge of the roof (usually the top edge, but can be any I guess), a little longer (I use 1'-0") and use the Opening tool with the "By Face" option to cut a "Hole"... but what you're doing is actually cutting the edge off, and the By Face Option makes it square to the slope of the roof, no matter what the slope is.  It's nice because you don't have to flop around with profiles, etc and it changes the angle if your roof pitch changes.

Best,

JP

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!