Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Roof Edge-Face Square to Slope

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Wotdat
4831 Views, 10 Replies

Set Roof Edge-Face Square to Slope

Hi, I have a generic 5" thick rectangular concrete roof layout with a single directional slope of 1:3.
Is there a way to have the bottom and upper egde-faces be square (Two Cut - Square) to the slope and not vertical (Two Cut - Plumb) ?

No facia applied to this roofing system. Just plane jane.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Wotdat

I just went through this ordeal. You can have the bottom edge square by
using the two-cut square option in properties with the cut thickness equal
to the thickness of the roof assembly. There is no way to have the top edge
square. The workaround I used was to create an in-place roof family within
which I created a solid extrusion drawn in the side elevation.

wrote in message news:5191768@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi, I have a generic 5" thick rectangular concrete roof layout with a single
directional slope of 1:3.
Is there a way to have the bottom and upper egde-faces be square (Two Cut -
Square) to the slope and not vertical (Two Cut - Plumb) ?

No facia applied to this roofing system. Just plane jane.

Thanks
Message 3 of 11
Wotdat

Ain't that Silly? You call something " 2-cut square " and only one face is squaring up?
Message 4 of 11
Steve_Stafford

I don't think I understand the question... Are you asking for the entire eave edge to be square to the top of the roof?

Just use the two cut square option and make the value equal or larger than the roof thickness. When you use a smaller value you get a square portion equal to the value and the bottom returns under the roof.
Message 5 of 11
Wotdat

The thing is, REVIT only recognizes the line with " Defines slope " Properties as face and only that face reacts to the " 2-Cut Square " setting and I think that is what you are referring. What I need to happen is to have the top and bottom edge faces be perpendicular to slope of roof.
Message 6 of 11
gestes

Has there been any further development on this topic over the past 4-5 years?

My condition is a square planar roof that has been "rotated" on two axis (using a slope arrow) putting the 4 corners at 4 different z-planes. As stated above only 1 edge can be set to 'two cut square'. I need all 4 edges set to 'two cut square' so I can create a nice extruded fascia around the perimeter with clean miters.

Thanks!

Greg

Message 7 of 11
ChrisBriley

I have the same issue.  I would like a single slope roof with all edges perpendicular to the roof.  I can make that happen for the bottom and sides but not the top.  It's 2013, and this program costs thousands so, Autodesk, pull your thumb out and give us a solution already. I'm sick of this.

Message 8 of 11
Base12
in reply to: ChrisBriley

Still no fix from Autodesk on this (that I'm aware of), but I did find a really easy option.  Make the offending edge of the roof (usually the top edge, but can be any I guess), a little longer (I use 1'-0") and use the Opening tool with the "By Face" option to cut a "Hole"... but what you're doing is actually cutting the edge off, and the By Face Option makes it square to the slope of the roof, no matter what the slope is.  It's nice because you don't have to flop around with profiles, etc and it changes the angle if your roof pitch changes.

Best,

JP

Message 9 of 11
jagostinhoCT
in reply to: Base12

@ChrisBriley , how about creating an In-Place Void to cut it.

See video below.

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Tags (3)
Message 10 of 11

Appreciate this video tutorial showing how to complete this task. Hope that in the future with Revit 2024 there is an option to change the angle of the roof edge like you would with a fascia board without relying on creating a void.

UPDATE: This method unfortunately does not work with roof angles that have a very flat slope, I.E. 12"/1/4".

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: harrisonwisti

@harrisonwisti wrote:

Appreciate this video tutorial showing how to complete this task. Hope that in the future with Revit 2024 there is an option to change the angle of the roof edge like you would with a fascia board without relying on creating a void.

UPDATE: This method unfortunately does not work with roof angles that have a very flat slope, I.E. 12"/1/4".

Use Opening by Face is easier and quicker than using an in place void.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report