Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Existing as default

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3274 Views, 10 Replies

Set Existing as default

Good morning everyone- I would like to set up a template for renovation projects in which all my objects and components are drawn as "exisitng" rather than "new". Given that when renovating you start with the existing building, it's pretty inconvenient to have to select everything later and change it. I have noticed that the "phase created" property doesn't even show up when you start drawing walls, for instance - you have to pick the wall and change the property after the fact.(unless I'm missing the way to turn that on.) And selecting all doesn't help because for some reason, even though they all have a "phase created" property, that isn't visible when multiple categories are selected. Anyone know of a simple setting I'm missing? Hopefully I just haven't discovered it yet. Using 6.0 Thanks, Chris
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

And even better - is there a way to switch the default so that you could start by doing everything as "existing", then after you start the changes, set the default to be "new"? TIA Chris
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Chris; Draw everything that is existing first. Select all and demolish them. Check out the revit phasing video on the bottom of this page. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5055212&linkID=3770350 -- From; Edward Borg Precision Drafting LLC http://precisiondraftingllc.com Cadkiller@aol.com "Chris Broda" wrote in message news:423072cd_1@newsprd01... > And even better - is there a way to switch the default so that you could > start by doing everything as "existing", then after you start the changes, > set the default to be "new"? > > TIA > > Chris >
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks, Edward. I may not have been clear in how I posed my questions. I am quite familiar with phasing, setting views to show the various phasings, etc. I'm not talking about how to do phasing, but rather how to set the "phase created" parameter to a default setting for all drawn objects. When you first draw a wall, or door, or window, the "phase created" parameter is automatically set to "new construction". In fact, when you do draw them, you don't even have a choice on the "phase created" in the properties until after you have placed them. You then need to go through the tedium of selecting everything either by type (walls, doors, etc.) or individually to change them to "existing". I'm looking for a way to set the default to be "existing" so that I can draw the existing building first. Then I'd like to set the default to "new construction" for all the new elements I might be drawing. I'm just hoping I'm missing some setting somewhere. Thanks again, Chris
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Phasing is set by the View Properties. If you are drawing on the Level One Plan, go to the Propoerties of Level One, and set the Phase to Existing. (And even rename the view Level one Exisitng if you'd like) Now everything you draw will be existing. Later, change the Phase of the View to New, and everything you draw from that point on will be new. Best to set up in your template, views set to Existing Phase, and renamed to Existing. Then duplicate those views, set to Phase New, rename to New. Now if you need to draw something exisitng, go to an Exisitng View, New stuff gets drawn in a New view. Makes sense? "Chris Broda" wrote in message news:4230856f$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks, Edward. > > I may not have been clear in how I posed my questions. > > I am quite familiar with phasing, setting views to show the various > phasings, etc. I'm not talking about how to do phasing, but rather how to > set the "phase created" parameter to a default setting for all drawn > objects. > > When you first draw a wall, or door, or window, the "phase created" > parameter is automatically set to "new construction". In fact, when you > do draw them, you don't even have a choice on the "phase created" in the > properties until after you have placed them. You then need to go through > the tedium of selecting everything either by type (walls, doors, etc.) or > individually to change them to "existing". I'm looking for a way to set > the default to be "existing" so that I can draw the existing building > first. Then I'd like to set the default to "new construction" for all the > new elements I might be drawing. > > I'm just hoping I'm missing some setting somewhere. > > Thanks again, > > Chris > >
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Totally makes sense! I knew I was missing something. Thanks Scott.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Scott, thats a very good explanation! Thanks "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:42308b66$1_1@newsprd01... > Phasing is set by the View Properties. If you are drawing on the Level > One Plan, go to the Propoerties of Level One, and set the Phase to > Existing. (And even rename the view Level one Exisitng if you'd like) Now > everything you draw will be existing. Later, change the Phase of the View > to New, and everything you draw from that point on will be new. Best to > set up in your template, views set to Existing Phase, and renamed to > Existing. Then duplicate those views, set to Phase New, rename to New. > Now if you need to draw something exisitng, go to an Exisitng View, New > stuff gets drawn in a New view. > > Makes sense? > > > "Chris Broda" wrote in message > news:4230856f$1_1@newsprd01... >> Thanks, Edward. >> >> I may not have been clear in how I posed my questions. >> >> I am quite familiar with phasing, setting views to show the various >> phasings, etc. I'm not talking about how to do phasing, but rather how >> to set the "phase created" parameter to a default setting for all drawn >> objects. >> >> When you first draw a wall, or door, or window, the "phase created" >> parameter is automatically set to "new construction". In fact, when you >> do draw them, you don't even have a choice on the "phase created" in the >> properties until after you have placed them. You then need to go through >> the tedium of selecting everything either by type (walls, doors, etc.) or >> individually to change them to "existing". I'm looking for a way to set >> the default to be "existing" so that I can draw the existing building >> first. Then I'd like to set the default to "new construction" for all the >> new elements I might be drawing. >> >> I'm just hoping I'm missing some setting somewhere. >> >> Thanks again, >> >> Chris >> >> > >
Message 8 of 11
mikegbabcock

This thread is 15 years old, and Revit 2019 makes this no easier. Which is just mind boggling. Anyway, I have my firm's Demo-Plan View Template set. Phasing set to Show Existing. Walls place are set to Existing. Range levels etc are all set to show these walls. And yet I can't see them. New walls, drawn as existing, in the existing view, can't be seen. There can't be 10,000 permutations for every single little issue in Revit. I shouldn't need to write to a forum, and wait for days or weeks, to know why I can't see a wall. This program is the worst. 

Message 9 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: mikegbabcock

You need to draw Existing elements under a View with Phase set to Existing, and Phase Filter set to Show All, Show Previous + New, Show New, or Show Complete. The reason is that elements drawn in a view take the View's Phase as their Phase Created.
Message 10 of 11
mikegbabcock
in reply to: ToanDN

My project is in an existing building. The first sheet I will make is obviously the demo plan. I should be able to make a view, use my firm's demo view template, and begin drawing with 'Show Previous + Demo'. I should be able to input my survey dimensions through modeling, and demo, simultaneously. 

Now my issue is a column won't show up- oddly I can draw a slanted column, and that appears fine in the plan. But if i attempt to draw it vertically, doesn't show. I have no view template on, using Show All and Existing. This page is useless: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Remind me how this program saves me time? 

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: mikegbabcock

Most of projects are with existing buildings. We do not have the luxury of design on a blank slate like architectural students. So, model your existing /demolished element in a View with the Phase = Existing and Phase Filter = Show All/Show New/Show Complete, meaning their Phase Created is under Existing. Select elements you want to demolish and change the their Phase Demolished to New Construction, meaning they will be demolished under New Construction.

Then you have another view with Phase = New Construction, Phase Filter = Show All, and you start model new stuff in.

Those are the working views. You then have documentation views: For Existing/Demolition plans, set the Phase to New Construction and Phase Filter to Show Previous + Demo; For New plans, set Phase to New Construction and Phase Filter to Show Previous + New.

Now about the columns, when you draw vertical structural columns in a non-structural discipline view, pay attention to the Option bar and set it to Height, not Depth. Height means you draw the columns from that level up. Depth means you draw from that Level down, hence you not seeing them because they are underneath the view range. Slanted columns do not use Depth or Height, because they require to pick start and end, that's why you see them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report