Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Error - RA2008

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
193 Views, 7 Replies

Serious Error - RA2008

I have a major issue here with a drawing that was saved in 9.1 and I want to open in Revit Arch 2008 and Structure 2008 here it is.

My client created a project in 9.1 used with worksets and central file they need to send the project to the consultant using Revit Structure 2008 and Revit Architecture 2008.

Issue is that when the consultant and myself try to open the file on different machines in both Arch and Structure 2008, after the upgrade process we get the following error.

"A serious error has occurred. It is strongly recommended that you use Save As to save your work in a new file before continuing."

I get the following two options "Save file and continue" or "Continue without save".

It does not matter which I try I try both and the project does not open and revit closes after the atempts to create backups. It's worth to note that I can open this drawing in 9.1 no problem.

Anyone know the fix for this issue? do you think it might be a corrupt file not saved properly and sent? Do you have to detach the file from Central before sending to consultant?
Or is the error in the migration from 9.1 to 2008?

regards

Bill
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sbrown
in reply to: Anonymous

Its really hard to say. However recognize if you do get it to upgrade your client will have to upgrade to 2008 to be able to use the file.

what I would try is in revit 9.1 detach from central, save as, run an audit, then try to open that file in 2008
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

thanks. I did save to central but did not do the audit. Will try that and let you know. I do undertsatnd the client will not beable to go back. That's something we have informed them about.

regards
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

here was the workaround. Consultant had to go back to Structure 4 and Structure 4 opened the 9.1 file without issues.

I now got a call from another Client this morning with the same issue when taking a 9.1 file to 2008 gets the error. I do not understand why this issue is occuring. I think that companies should be free to migrate from 9.1 to 2008 during a project with no issues.

Anyone from Autodesk answer this? has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I understand the rule of thumb is that if you start a project in 9.1 finish it in 9.1. However that shouldnt be the case the program should be designed well enough to migrate to 2008 without issues.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I guess, being a complex program as it is, it isn't that easy. If it was, we
would have backwards compatibility as well. There aren't many complaints
regarding that issue because, as you said, most of us are sticking to the
rule of thumb.

wrote in message news:5630600@discussion.autodesk.com...
..... However that shouldnt be the case the program should be designed well
enough to migrate to 2008 without issues.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I agree with the rule of thumb, I guess you can see my frustration though. I appreciate the reply.

I have built a building and did the cross grade without issues. For the time being I would say the workaround is to stick with that version.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

have you tried clearing the errors in the model in 9.1 before migrating it
to 2008?

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
18645 South West Creek Drive
Tinley Park, Illinois 60477
708.342.1250 x.225
wrote in message news:5630784@discussion.autodesk.com...
I agree with the rule of thumb, I guess you can see my frustration though. I
appreciate the reply.

I have built a building and did the cross grade without issues. For the time
being I would say the workaround is to stick with that version.
Message 8 of 8
Kal-LT

Steps to follow with worksets and migration from 9.1 to 2008:
Within RAC2008 or RS2008
1-Open your central file,
2-save as the same name in the same location.
3-Save as again to create your NEW local file (the old one is not usable anymore - you can delete it)
If you have linked fles into a master file you need to be sure to start steps 1-2 prior to the master file.
We just migrate 20 users from 9.1 to 2008 - following these simple procedure was a no brainer.
Hope that helps,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report