Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send to back and Send to Front

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
octavio2
25792 Views, 11 Replies

Send to back and Send to Front

In contrast to AutoCAD, the "Send to Back" and the "Send to Front" command icons are ellusive in Revit, apparently in part since they are contextual, and when I need any of them, (with my limited experience), they are not there, and I have to chase the one that I need at the moment, and still could not find it.

I have the following questions, and any one who is familiar with these commands please advise:

1. How to put the commands in the Quick access toolbar. so they are always there.

2. Since apparently these two commands do not have a keyboard shortcut in the box, will like to ask if there is one known "custom" keyboard shortcut that might work for each that will not conflit with any other keyboard shortcut already in the program.  (i.e., if any one had devised a good one, that is, that will not conflit with any other already standard with the program and works well, please share).

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: octavio2

Ad 1

I do not hink this is possible. Bring to Front/Back are contextual commands and only shown when relevant. Placing them in the quick access bnar would 'violate' this behaviour.

Ad 2

Under the options, user interface, keyboard shortcuts you can set keyboard shortcuts. It is easy to find the bring to front by entering some relevant text (e.g. front). You then can enter a shortcut.

Keyboard.png

If you want to know which keyboard shortcurts are in use you can select "All Defined" and can sort on shortcuts. Than it is easy to define a shortcut which is not in use.

Keyboard 2.png

For example you could use BB and BF (Bring Front, Bring Back).

Hope this helps

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 12
octavio2
in reply to: L.Maas

My Keyboard Shortcuts have "Bring to Front" but I dod not see "Bring to Back" there.

I was able to create "BF" for Bring to Front.

The reason I asked the question this time is since I have an imported AutoCAD drawings of an existing commercial shell wiwhich also has  some new interior walls of a Tenant Improvement.  I am adding the exterior walls of the existing shells with generic 8" and 12" gray walls with the "Pick Lines", but once that these walls are drawn in Revit, these appear under the AutoCAD Background (i.e,, they are "under").  This is one situation where I want the Revit walls to show on top and the AutoCAD background on the bottom, but when I pick the Crop Region of the AutoCAD import or the Imported AutoCAD drawing with a window, the Bring to Front and the Bring to Back contextual commands do not show, so I do not see a way of how to bring the AutoCAD import to the back.  Seems to me that these should show for these situations, should not?  To see the walls in Revit clearly I have to hide the AutoCAD import. (even with the AutoCAD import in "halfotne" the Revit walls do not show).

Is there a way to bring the AutoCAD import to the back or to have the Revit walls show on top?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
L.Maas

Bring to back can also be found

Bring to Back.png

You probably know the answer for your second question 🙂

You import/link the autocad file inside the model thus....you are working in 3D.

Your autocad import/link is placed on a level, normally by default with a base offset of 0. The solution is easy, move your autocad file to a location that it is positoned under your walls.

Import.png

So no reason to use bring to back/front

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 12
octavio2

I was looking for "Bring to Back", but it should have been "Sent to Back" as you suggested, Enlint.

I also offset the AutoCAD file like you advised (I did not know we could do that...good advise!)

Thanks.

Message 6 of 12
DavidRaines

I am wondering where that command is located. Revit 2018

Thank You 

David

Message 7 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: DavidRaines

Modify Ribbon.  It only appears when you select Detail items such as Filled/Masking regions, detail lines, detail components, and Raster images.

Message 8 of 12
DavidRaines
in reply to: ToanDN

I wondered about that. That actually turned out to be not the problem. When I set up views the facing wall in the elevation becomes invisible.
Thank you
David
Message 9 of 12
gilsoto13

I hope this command is improved later, by now I am adding some dimensions to a detail, and these new dimensions are below a text with has an opaque background, so the opaque background covers the existing dimensions, walls, and even grids, but new dimensions are shown on top of the text, and since "Send to back" and "Bring to front" will not work with dimensions nor text, I can't solve it any way, rather than moving away the text from anything around it. But still Revit is useful for many other things.

Message 10 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: gilsoto13

Cut what is below and paste align to put it on top.
Message 11 of 12
Corsten.Au

Hi

Am explaining 3 ways to get CAD files in Revit

1. Import 

2. Linked ( 3d)

3. Linked ( Current View Only )

import comes as 3D, and will show up as long as its in view range.. and any other element above that will block it..

Linked 3d is as good as import, but making changes in CAD, and reloading can help update the CAD, which is not possible

in import..

Linked ( Current View Only ) is one of the best way to get the CAD, cause it allows live link, updating 

CAD will update it in Revit by reloading, and only this method will give an option to BRING CAD in

1. FOREGROUND

2. BACKGROUND

This option activates background and foreground... other Bring to front and Send to back does nothing...This option activates background and foreground... other Bring to front and Send to back does nothing...

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 12 of 12
gilsoto13

That worked, even though, I think Autodesk could add this tool to text and dimensions, but thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report