Revit Architecture

steve
Message 11 of 16 (76 Views)

Re: Seeking honest opinions...

01-30-2004 10:10 AM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
Don't be afraid, Autodesk is currently giving away 2004 w/ any copy of Revit. so dig in!
*Robin Capper
Message 12 of 16 (76 Views)

01-31-2004 03:22 PM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
What is the "mechanical program" failing to achieve? -- Regards, Robin Capper. CAD Manager. The Warehouse Group Ltd New Zealand. Email; robin.capper@thewarehouse.co.nz "Birdman" wrote in message news:4018fd68$1_3@newsprd01... > I gotta jump in on this if you all don't mind. > I am in a similar boat. > I work for an architectural millwork firm and we currently use acad2002.... > all our doors, windows, cabinetry is done in 2d. This is a legacy I > inherited about a year ago. Previous cad manager couldn't do 3d, and > wouldn't learn. We've made big improvements...but are still 2d. The bosses > purchaced a 3d cabinet package that basically sucked. Then they purchased a > "well known parametric mechanical engineering" program which is good, but a > mechanical engineering program. > What I have seen with revit is basically(?) a similar approach but > specifically tailored to AEC industry. > > Here's what I am looking for in revit: > 1. The ability to create a model "library" of our standard doors, windows, > and cabinets. > 2. These library models need to be parametrically flexible in overall size, > and also in construction details, without altering our basic library pieces. > 3. I need to be able to automatically generate an accurate bill of > materials of all parts. Cabinet end panels, door stile size (L,W,T) and > material, ad nausium... > > Can revit be adaptable to a custom cabinet shops particular needs? > Thanks for the input. > >
*Birdman
Message 13 of 16 (76 Views)

02-03-2004 09:18 AM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
The SOLID modeling program that we got WORKS pretty good, but it seems to me that REVIT is more tailored to Architectural work. We'll have to either design our own custom apps (similar to revit families) or pay big to have utilities built for us in order to get the "cabinet libraries" that have the functionality that we are looking for. We gotta have much more than "boxes" with variable length, width, and height. Having said all that, it may not be the "mechanical program" that is failing to achieve this... but the time I can(t) spend that causes ME to fail. I am still struggling with learning an efficient modeling strategy that will give us all (or at least most) of the functionality that we need.
*Greg Cashen
Message 14 of 16 (76 Views)

02-03-2004 09:52 AM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
If you're talking about creating families that accurately represent the casework in question, there should be no problem with that. I would be hard pressed to think of a cabinet type that could not be easily made in Revit. If you want to be able to get accurate blown up assembly details, Revit is not geared for that sort of work. You will have to get into it a bit more to see if it will do exactly what you need. "Birdman" wrote in message news:401fd7e2$1_2@newsprd01... > The SOLID modeling program that we got WORKS pretty good, but it seems to me > that REVIT is more tailored to Architectural work. We'll have to either > design our own custom apps (similar to revit families) or pay big to have > utilities built for us in order to get the "cabinet libraries" that have the > functionality that we are looking for. We gotta have much more than "boxes" > with variable length, width, and height. > Having said all that, it may not be the "mechanical program" that is failing > to achieve this... but the time I can(t) spend that causes ME to fail. > I am still struggling with learning an efficient modeling strategy that will > give us all (or at least most) of the functionality that we need. > >
*Birdman
Message 15 of 16 (76 Views)

02-03-2004 11:44 AM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
Thanks Greg. We've got some of the best cabinetmakers you'd ever come across. Exploded assembly views are for "hobbyists" in their (sort of arrogant) view. They DO need accurate 2d blueprints, with some appropriate full scale details. This takes a lot of extra work for us now in acad 2d drawings. One small change may need to be made in many places. Blocks...we use them where it pays to....xrefs...we don't have much benefit with those. Most of our work is one off stuff. One of the things that I like about revit is that if a wall is field measured differently than we draw it, we can "stretch" it and the cabinet, and most importantly a bill of materials will update accordingly. Thanks again for the input.
*Greg Cashen
Message 16 of 16 (76 Views)

02-12-2004 08:12 AM in reply to: *Adam McNeill
They are??!!? I want my money back then! Why on earth did I just pay for Revit Series if I could have gotten Autocad 2004 for free!?? Please clarify, cite references, etc!! "steve" wrote in message news:28526571.1076550564806.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Don't be afraid, Autodesk is currently giving away 2004 w/ any copy of Revit. so dig in!
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!